Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Dupriez Christophe <ch...@yahoo.fr> on 2006/03/09 13:17:02 UTC

Compressed BitSet

I am about to evaluate Lucene for replacing
current IR system of Belgian Poison Center.

We are used to manage query refinements by
combining different searches with boolean
operators: we thus have to store the results
(or otherwise to remake them). Our current
software does this by paging compressed bit
sets on disk. I did not saw (up to now)
an object like Compressed BitSets in Lucene.

Browsing the web, I found a very interesting
class, near of what we currently use:
http://www.iis.uni-stuttgart.de/intset/

What Lucene's developpers think
about this issue ?

Thank you very much for your advice !

Christophe Dupriez
dupriez@destin.be

Re: Compressed BitSet

Posted by Paul Elschot <pa...@xs4all.nl>.
On Thursday 09 March 2006 14:25, eks dev wrote:

> PS1: If you are interested in compressed bit sets, try
> to search for "utilities for compact sparse filters
> lucene"

Or look here:

Paul Elschot

Re: Compressed BitSet

Posted by eks dev <ek...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Just a short one, it rocks in some cases (when actual
BitSet/IntSet is compressable, long runs of set or
clear bits...). Very good general BitSet
representation

I have tried it and found no bugs so far (+- 2 months
of using it)

Unfortunately, there is an issue with Licence (not ASF
compatible :(

cheers

PS:
To use something like that with Lucene you will hit
the problem with Filter interface that suports only
BitSet. It means you will have to wait a bit until
more flexible Filter interface gets accepted by the
comunity. Apart from that, I would not evaluate too
much, just take Lucene, it is briliant ;)

--- Dupriez Christophe <ch...@yahoo.fr>