Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2003/12/19 18:44:49 UTC

Spring (was RE: Struts 2.0 Ideas)

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, David Graham wrote:
<snip />
> The IoC topic deserves its own thread.  Spring is bloated.  It contains a
> DAO layer, JDBC helper library, Web MVC framework, IoC support, etc.  I
> don't think we should be lugging around Spring inside of Struts.  There
> are also non-technical aspects of Spring that have lowered my opinion of
> it.

Actually, if anything, Spring is a good model of how to make code modular
and accessible.  Spring can be split up into different jars, each
containing a major Spring functionality that can be used without the
others.  In this case, the IoC features are in a single jar, under 100k,
and that jar doesn't contain any of the other code - Dao, JDBC, Web
framework, or even AOP.  I'm not up on the politics; I've just been using
it for the last few months in several projects and been loving it.  It
really is some well-written, focused, code, IMO.

> If we want IoC inside of Struts we should look at something lighter weight
> like HiveMind.  I'd also like some focused concrete examples of how IoC
> would benefit Struts internals before we decide to go that route.

Yeah, I think we would need to stand a prototype up before we get too far
down the requirements road.  Especially things like IoC - it's hard to see
their value until you see it in action or work with it personally.  As for
Hivemind, it could fit the bill as well, I just haven't worked with it at
all.  Kinda doubt it will be under 100k tho :)

Don