Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by aloleary <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/17 13:42:21 UTC

Programatically adding Permissions

Hello,
   Simple question really - what is the best approach for adding permissions
(wildcard is perfect) at runtime ?

I need to programatically setup a users permissions.

Any tips/hints appreciated

thanks
-A-

Re: Programatically adding Permissions

Posted by aloleary <al...@gmail.com>.
Ok thanks - I already have a custom realm as it is for a standalone client
app that uses simple "pin" access not userandpassword... so i will look into
the existing Shiro classes to see what i need to add to my realm for adding
permission support

thanks

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Al,

Moataz is correct - you can't use the Shiro API to directly add
permissions, roles, groups or mappings thereof because that requires
intimate knowledge of your application's data model, which Shiro can't
possibly know.

A fairly common solution is to have something like a
UserManager/UserService (or similar) that performs these
additions/associations and then have your Realm use that same service
when doing the lookups for authentication and authorization.

HTH,

Les

Posted by Moataz Elmasry <za...@googlemail.com>.