Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Albrecht, Matt" <ma...@zilliant.com> on 2002/05/06 20:23:14 UTC

Ant 1.6 alpha build problems

This weekend, I was working w/ building Ant 1.6 alpha on Windows 2000.  I
switched between different compilers, and set different "build.compiler"
settings to get some interesting results.

1. o.a.t.a.taskdefs.optional.extention.Extension.java references some
java.util.jar attributes that don't exist in JDK 1.2, but work fine in JDK
1.4.  It works fine w/ JDK 1.1, since build doesn't compile it under 1.1.
The attributes are: EXTENTION_LIST, EXTENTION_NAME, IMPLEMENTATION_URL,
IMPLEMENTATION_VENDOR_ID.  The JDK 1.4 API docs don't specify a "since" tag
on these fields, so I don't know how this will act under JDK 1.3.

2. I tried out the "build.compiler=extJava" property.  JDK 1.1 doesn't like
this.  It looks like the <javac> sticks all the compiler options in a file,
and uses an "@filename" style argument passing in the executable invocation.
JDK 1.1 doesn't support this.  In fact, a quick check of all the JDK javac
options looks like none of the JDK compilers support this.  Is this Jikes
specific?  Perhaps I should try this w/ the Microsoft sdkjava40 compiler
:-).

-Matt
Try something new.

Re: Ant 1.6 alpha build problems

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 6 May 2002, Matt Albrecht <ma...@zilliant.com> wrote:

> 1. o.a.t.a.taskdefs.optional.extention.Extension.java references
> some java.util.jar attributes that don't exist in JDK 1.2, but work
> fine in JDK 1.4.

This should be fixed in CVS now - well, not fixed but I've committed a
workaround.  I'm sure Peter will take care that 1.2 becomes supported.

> 2. I tried out the "build.compiler=extJava" property.  JDK 1.1
> doesn't like this.  It looks like the <javac> sticks all the
> compiler options in a file, and uses an "@filename" style argument
> passing in the executable invocation.

Only if your command line would be getting too long otherwise.

> JDK 1.1 doesn't support this.

True, should be fixed now - but only in the ANT_15 branch.

> In fact, a quick check of all the JDK javac options looks like none
> of the JDK compilers support this.

<http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javac.html>
says 1.2's javac does (and the same is true for my local copy of the
1.3 and 1.4 tool docs 8-).

Stefan