Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James G Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu> on 2001/11/12 18:03:50 UTC

Re: open-source suggestion for a knowledge-base/search engine?

Grant Babb <gb...@datajunction.com> wrote:
>--=====================_3114418==_.ALT
>

>>all-
>>
>>         In our migration to open-source solutions, I have been asked to
>> suggest a solution for our knowledge base.  We have found that a
>> well-indexed text search is really a more effective way to go, but I was
>> hoping for some suggestions from this list on some mod_perl based
>> projects or apache modules that might do the the trick.  PHP is OK too i
>> guess, but when it comes to both fast lookups and text manipulation,
>> mod_perl/mySQL seemed like the obvious way to go.

You're welcome to look at (and contribute to :) the PerlKB project:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlkb/

It's still in the fairly early stages right now - most work is on the data
store/management than on a web interface.

If you are interested, you might also want to look at the template toolkit
documentation list - some of the discussion there may affect the PerlKB
implementation.

My current work on the PerlKB involves categorization of documents and
presenting that to the user - should have more on that after next week
(deadline for Usenix tech. conference submissions :).

Neither of these are ready for production at this point.  If you need
something *now*, then I'd look elsewhere (not necessarily for non-mod_perl
solutions, just not this one).
--
James Smith <JG...@TAMU.Edu>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix