Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com> on 2004/05/11 03:10:48 UTC

silent reset service

hi,

i am wondering if it is a good thing that a disabled reset service silently
does nothing when invoked?

i've just spent far too long trying to figure out why simple template
changes weren't being observed after a reset, when it turned out that
firstly i had forgotten to enable the reset service at all, and then, more
frustratingly, i used the wrong system property to enable it - i copied it
from the online javadocs, only to have the web browser add a space to the
end of the property name that my ide faithfully passed on to the vm :-(  i'd
have loved for tapestry to give me an error page when trying to invoke the
disabled reset service (saying the service is disabled), or at least log a
console warning saying that the service is disabled each time it was
invoked.  i notice that invoking a service that does not exist throws an
exception - shouldn't invoking the disabled reset service do something
similar?

are there any good reasons for the reset to be silent when it's disabled?