Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2014/12/29 15:49:45 UTC

Fixing the release

Hi all,

So I canceled the vote on your behalf on the general mailing list due to
the licensing issues brought up by Justin.

I did just open a PR to fix the binary file issue he found.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-usergrid/pull/133
As a part of this, I also applied the ASF copyright headers to the files in
the repo.

A few more questions remain.

First, this file:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-usergrid/blob/master/stack/launcher/src/main/java/org/apache/usergrid/launcher/ClasspathStaticHttpHandler.java
Why is it GPL/CDDL? As best as I can tell it's unique to usergrid, I
couldn't find it coming from one of the dependencies (e.g. Jersey).  Is it
simply a header error?

Next is this file, which does appear to be copied.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-usergrid/blob/master/stack/core/src/main/java/org/apache/usergrid/utils/BCrypt.java
Can we instead depend on the jBCrypt library?  It looks like it's in maven:
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.mindrot%7Cjbcrypt%7C0.3m%7Cjar

The contents of the .NET SDK look like they just need to be listed in a
NOTICE file, rather than the acknowledgements here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-usergrid/blob/master/sdks/dotnet/packages/NSubstitute.1.6.0.0/acknowledgements.txt

John

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com>.
I agree with you Ed.  For 1.0, this is definitely the path of least
resistance, and if that class is used to serve up static resource, we'll
still need it.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
EmbeddedServerHelper is from the Hector Cassandra client.  Ran should be an
Apache contributor, because I think that class was at one time included
with Apache Cassandra.

I'm not sure what we can do about the static file handler, that is just
used for the CSS within Grizzly.  There might be some other mechanism if we
need to work around it.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
Everything we're talking about applies to Standalone as well.  The Launcher
is just a GUI on top of it.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
It's based on this class -
https://github.com/GrizzlyNIO/grizzly-mirror/blob/2.3.x/modules/http-server/src/main/java/org/glassfish/grizzly/http/server/StaticHttpHandler.java

StaticHttpHandler implements several methods as final or protected, making
it not subclassable.  This necessitated creating a new class.  The skeleton
of that class was copypasta from the original StaticHttpHandler.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.
When I suggested that releasing without the launcher was acceptable, I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly so, that we are just talking about the tar ball files in apache.  e.g. here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/usergrid/usergrid-1/v1.0.0/

And that we would not be altering the codebase in git, just cherrypicking the launcher out.  If that isn’t the case, then we probably need to take a step back and just fix the launcher (or work out the license issues).

Rod

--
Rod Simpson
T @rockerston

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
Thanks Dave!

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.
Awesome.  Sounds like a plan.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Todd Nine <to...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. The launcher is getting an overhaul in the 2.0 branch, we just
haven't decided what that is. We've found the embedded Cassandra to be

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Fixing the release

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.