Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/29 02:00:40 UTC

question on site building/release process

Hi,

I've cut the release for Texen/Anakia, but have a couple quick questions.
Anyone?

(1) How do I get the site to build for
http://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/anakia-1.0/

(2) Per the (somewhat out of date) instructions on the Wiki, I uploaded to
the apache distro location and to the maven distro.  Do I also need to
upload the files to archive.apache.org?

Once the site is all set, I'll put up the news item and send announcements
(plus a special one per Henning's suggestion to the Torque list).

WILL

Re: question on site building/release process

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>.
BTW: I fixed the licensing report issue (which is related to offline
building). Should be fine now.

	Best regards
		Henning

Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/30/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
> "Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >------=_Part_78854_30603569.1177873852796
>
> >Thanks, Henning.  I'll review this.  This has gotten insanely complicated.
> >I read the (outdated) wiki docs, looked at the tools and engine release and
> >still got some stuff wrong.  When in double I followed the Tools format for
> >URL's and the like but apparently that's not all correct either.  I thought
> >Maven was supposed to simplify things?
>
> Actually, it is not that complicated. It is just necessary to make sure that
> the changes beween a release and the devel branch are reflected in the code
> base. These are just a few lines in the POM.
>
> Maven does simplify here because it allows us to build in an uniform manner
> over all projects. Using VelocityTools was probably just the wrong choice, because Nathan does not use maven to build the site (yet? Nathan?).

correct.  haven't got up the courage to take that plunge yet.  path of
least resistance, yada, yada, yada...  :)

> >It's a hassle that the POM's were wrong in the released file.   What's the
> >practical import of this?
>
> Close to none. The repos have a patched version, so the only impact is
> some user downloading the source and rebuilding the sites locally. To
> me it is more important that the links on the web site are ok.

agreed.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
> [...]

  http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/RebuildSites).

  I have added scripts to the ~velocity/bin directory and deployed the sites.

  Please *DO NOT* just copy the devel sites over:

   - The navigation links will be wrong (the releases are one menu level deeper)
   - The various links in the project documentation will be wrong (e.g. trunk
     instead of the tag)

- Please also link <projname>/releases/<projname>-<releaseversion> on the main
  site, not just <projname>/releases/<releaseversion>. I fixed this.

>(2) Per the (somewhat out of date) instructions on the Wiki, I uploaded to
>the apache distro location and to the maven distro.  Do I also need to
>upload the files to archive.apache.org?

Nope, that happens automatically.
http://archive.apache.org/dist/velocity/anakia/1.0/ has already picked it up.

What was still missing is distributing it to the maven-2 repository.
I just ran this for texen and anakia, they should be picked up by repo1.maven.org soon.