Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2006/03/11 08:58:26 UTC

[Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Emmanuel,

Don't get alarmed but I had to revert those changes upgrading to the
latest nlog4j.  I reverted because it introduced dependencies on a slew
of SUN jars that I cannot possibly put into a Maven repo without having
interpol knocking on my door.  Yeah I wish I was living in Paris ok!
Just kidding but we need to talk to Ceki about this and see if he can
change his pom.  At this point we cannot upgrade to the 1.0 slf4j
compatible nlog4j.  It adds things like the jmx jar, activation, mail,
and I think I even saw Maven download my mother in law.

This happened once before and Ceki reverted.  I don't think he'd stick
with this so we just need to talk to him.  Perhaps he's unaware of it
creeping in again.

Forgive the crazy email ... its late...
Alex

P.S. Ceki help us to get to 1.2.23 please!

Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Emmanuel,
>
> Don't get alarmed but I had to revert those changes upgrading to the
> latest nlog4j.  I reverted because it introduced dependencies on a
> slew of SUN jars that I cannot possibly put into a Maven repo without
> having interpol knocking on my door.  Yeah I wish I was living in
> Paris ok!  Just kidding but we need to talk to Ceki about this and see
> if he can change his pom.  At this point we cannot upgrade to the 1.0
> slf4j compatible nlog4j.  It adds things like the jmx jar, activation,
> mail, and I think I even saw Maven download my mother in law.
>
> This happened once before and Ceki reverted.  I don't think he'd stick
> with this so we just need to talk to him.  Perhaps he's unaware of it
> creeping in again.
>
> Forgive the crazy email ... its late...
> Alex
>
> P.S. Ceki help us to get to 1.2.23 please!

This bit of knowledge may help....

required artifacts missing:
  com.sun.jdmk:jmxtools:jar:1.2
  javax.mail:mail:jar:1.3.2
  com.sun.jmx:jmxri:jar:1.2
  javax.jms:jms:jar:1.1
  javax.activation:activation:jar:1.0.2

Alex

Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Posted by Luke Taylor <ne...@freesurf.ch>.
Hi,

You can add a scope tag to the dependencies in the log4j pom to control
how they are used by other projects:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html

mail, activation, jmx etc. would have scope "provided" for example.

It looks like it doesn't have any scope settings at the moment.

Luke.

--
 Luke Taylor.                      Monkey Machine Ltd.
 PGP Key ID: 0x57E9523C            http://www.monkeymachine.ltd.uk

Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <li...@qos.ch>.
At 07:24 PM 3/13/2006, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>Hmmm going on a couple days of no sleep here so I might be babbling.
>Take my comments with a grain of salt.

Your one before last message sent at 5 AM, and the this one sent at 13 PM I
was starting to wonder about your capability to skip sleep.

Thanks for your answer. For the time being I am going to opt for adding a
<scope> element. If that does not work, I'll remove the dependencies.

Cheers,

>HTH,
>Alex
>
>P.S. If/when you change your pom though, make sure you bump your
>revision number to say 1.2.24 because people will have already pulled
>down your old non-snapshot pom: you'll want to leave your old pom there
>as is.

Yep, good catch.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/

Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <li...@qos.ch>.
Carlos Sanchez has finished uploading NLOG4J 1.2.24. The new POM should
hopefully be less problematic.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/

Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Alex,
>
> To begin, I am sorry about the hassle this upgrade is causing. Looking
> at the Maven repository at ibiblio, it seems that they (ibiblio) are
> publishing the pom files without modification [1].
>
> Here are some details about the process for building the jar file for
> ibiblio:
>
> - NLOG4J does not use Maven itself,
> - The jar file used for the Maven (Ibiblio) upload requests gets
> assembled by an Ant build file [2].
> - It uses the pom file defined in [3].
>
> [1] http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/org.slf4j/poms/
> [2] http://svn.slf4j.org/viewcvs/nlog4j/trunk/ibiblio.xml
> [3] http://svn.slf4j.org/viewcvs/nlog4j/trunk/src/pom/project.xml
>
> At this stage I am tempted to simply delete the dependency tags in
> NLOG4J's pom file. I could also add a <scope>provided</scope> element
> in each appropriate dependency. Which alternative do you think is better?
Hmmm going on a couple days of no sleep here so I might be babbling.
Take my comments with a grain of salt.

If you exclude these dependencies then m2 should not require them to be
present for nlog4j dependent projects: this is the simplest case.  WRT
nlog4j dependent projects the net effect is pretty much the same as
marking these dependencies as provided: nlog4j dependent projects would
not include these SUN API jars as dependencies.  The only reason why you
may want to mark them as having the provided scope is for your nlog4j
build process.  Meaning if you must compile these classes which depend
on SUN API's then these jars must be present. That is if you used m2 but
you don't.

So in conclusion the approach does not really matter.  You can remove
the deps or include them and mark them with the provided scope.  Now I
don't know if there is some benefit for publishing the fact that you
have classes depending on these SUN artifacts by including them in your
pom.  You might want to get some recommendations from the maven peeps on
this.  They certainly have more vision than I do.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <li...@qos.ch>.
Alex,

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://ceki.blogspot.com/

Re: [Attentione] Reverted nlog4j 1.2.19 => 1.2.23 upgrade

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Ceki,

My comments are inline...

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <li...@qos.ch>.