Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rm...@shaw.ca> on 2003/11/25 22:49:38 UTC

[users@httpd] typo somewhere

Got apache 2 working on one server works great it was a pain to setup
virtual hosting though kept getting 403 forbidden errors.  Finally got
the thing working by commenting out most of the main server
configuration settings and just using virtual containers.  I then copied
the same httpd.conf to my second server changing the necessary virtual
host containers.  Apache starts on this server with the following error
[Tue Nov 25 14:55:38 2003] [alert] (EAI 7)No address associated with
hostname: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of "v21.higcoup.ca"
Configuration Failed

the v21.higcoup.ca part is wrong it should read "v21.highcoup.ca" a typo
somewhere but i cant figure out where checked the httpd.conf and it is
not there.  Checked my /etc/hosts file it was all wrong did not even
have any entries for v21.highcoup.ca or v21.higcoup.ca so fixed it does
it have to be reloaded somehow because i can not just reboot this
machine.  Or is it somewhere in my DNS files

please help

Re: [users@httpd] typo somewhere

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:

> Got apache 2 working on one server works great it was a pain to setup
> virtual hosting though kept getting 403 forbidden errors.  Finally got
> the thing working by commenting out most of the main server
> configuration settings and just using virtual containers.  I then copied
> the same httpd.conf to my second server changing the necessary virtual
> host containers.  Apache starts on this server with the following error
> [Tue Nov 25 14:55:38 2003] [alert] (EAI 7)No address associated with
> hostname: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of "v21.higcoup.ca"
> Configuration Failed
>
> the v21.higcoup.ca part is wrong it should read "v21.highcoup.ca" a typo
> somewhere but i cant figure out where checked the httpd.conf and it is
> not there.  Checked my /etc/hosts file it was all wrong did not even
> have any entries for v21.highcoup.ca or v21.higcoup.ca so fixed it does
> it have to be reloaded somehow because i can not just reboot this
> machine.  Or is it somewhere in my DNS files

I'd have to check teh code for mod_unique_id to see what it is doing.  But
unless you are really using this module, it is best to simply comment out
the appropriate LoadModule line.  Few people really need this module.

If you do need mod_unique_id, I'd try setting a ServerName in httpd.conf
that actually maps to an IP address.

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] typo somewhere

Posted by Wouter van Vliet <wo...@springt.nl>.
RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> Got apache 2 working on one server works great it was a pain
> to setup virtual hosting though kept getting 403 forbidden
> errors.  Finally got the thing working by commenting out most
> of the main server configuration settings and just using
> virtual containers.  I then copied the same httpd.conf to my
> second server changing the necessary virtual host containers.
>  Apache starts on this server with the following error [Tue
> Nov 25 14:55:38 2003] [alert] (EAI 7)No address associated with
> hostname: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of
> "v21.higcoup.ca" Configuration Failed
>
> the v21.higcoup.ca part is wrong it should read
> "v21.highcoup.ca" a typo somewhere but i cant figure out
> where checked the httpd.conf and it is not there.  Checked my
> /etc/hosts file it was all wrong did not even have any
> entries for v21.highcoup.ca or v21.higcoup.ca so fixed it
> does it have to be reloaded somehow because i can not just
> reboot this machine.  Or is it somewhere in my DNS files
>
> please help

As root, you should be able to do smth like: "hostname v21.highcoop.ca",
changing the hostname of your server. Though, this problem might as well be
on ANOTHER server. Yor box's name might be just "v21", getting the
"higcoop.ca" from the DHCP server.

Wouter

(ps, you've got a familiar, not very common, last name .. Do you happen to
related to Aukje and Marieke? :P (Dutch folks know who they are))