Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net> on 2021/01/22 16:09:47 UTC

AIR app (Captive runtime) is blocked by anti-virus scanner

Hi,

since we moved some remaining Flex apps to AIR (Using captive runtime), some
of our users reports that the app is being blocked by their
anti-virus-scanner.
Because in some cases, the responsable IT-departments don't like to
whitelist additional apps, we run into trouble.

We are not yet using a "real" certificate at compile time. Could this be the
problem?
Or could there be anything else in the Flex / AIR apps that is causing the
virus scanner to block it?

Thanks in advance!
Olaf

RE: AIR app (Captive runtime) is blocked by anti-virus scanner

Posted by Jason Taylor <jt...@dedoose.com>.
As long as you continue to use self signed certs and non EV-Code Signing certs from a trusted 3rd party intermediary certificate authority you will continue to encounter errors.
~ JT

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
HI Vinvent,

>Indeed, I believe this is caused by the fact that our applications are
signed with a temporary certificate.

Yes, that make sense.
It comes into my mind that we always use the same self-signed certificate
here since a longer time.
I'll try to generate a new one using the ADT, maybe that make a difference,
not sure.

Unfortunatley, it's hard to "debug" because the anti-virus-scanner out there
behaves differently, not reproducable and sometimes it takes some days until
an Air app is blocked.

We're still using the latest Adobe AIR version, not sure if this could also
be an issue.

However, I expect to get rid of the last bit of Flex here until summer...

Thanks,

Posted by Tucsonjhall <Jh...@cactusware.com>.
Correct. So far no complaints. I compile with captive runtime then use Inno
Setup to package it then send the setup.exe through the Digicert utility to
sign it.

Re: AIR app (Captive runtime) is blocked by anti-virus scanner

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Carlos,

in our case it worked to reduce the expiration duration of the self-signed
certificate to 2 years.
(IIRIC, the default value in ADT is 5 years, not sure)

I still need to observe this, but until now I don't get no more feedback
that the AIR apps are blocked.
Keeping fingers crosses...

Best regards,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

In Prominic we are using Comodo certs and that solve problem. Olaf and I
were resolve problems also by just generating new self signed certificate -
it could be also potential solution.

Thanks,
Piotr

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: AIR app (Captive runtime) is blocked by anti-virus scanner

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Tucson,

Posted by Tucsonjhall <Jh...@cactusware.com>.

Posted by Tucsonjhall <Jh...@cactusware.com>.
I got an EV certificate from Digicert. So far, no problems from any
customers. It's only been out there for a couple of weeks but I'm hopeful.

Re: AIR app (Captive runtime) is blocked by anti-virus scanner

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
I took a look into our used self-signed p12 certificate and notice that it
has an expiration date of 2048.
This might be an issue for an anti-virus-scanner, not sure

So I created a new one and set the exparation duration to 2 years.

As soon I'll get some feedback from our users in the US I'll feedback if it
works or even not.
If not, we might need to buy a certificate from a trusted provider.
But I wonder how we can know which provider the antivirus scanner is
trusting?

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Jason,

just to be sure:
You're using captive runtime and pass the EV cert at build time?
Finally, you package your app by using winrar?

Posted by Jason Taylor <jt...@dedoose.com>.
Contact digicert and get an EV Code signing certificate.   I am using winrar
to create a SFX archive as a single file exe then signing manually with the
EV cert.  Works great on all platforms and dosen't require any admin
privileges.
~ JT