Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Paul Rule <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/10 13:30:46 UTC

Re: maven2 plugin suggestions

Thanks for all the replies.
I actually got most of what I wanted from the jar and
assembly plugin.

I configured the following in my pom.xml:

<build>
<plugins>
 <plugin>
   <configuration>
    <descriptor>src/main/assembly/bin.xml</descriptor>
   </configuration>
 </plugin>
 <plugin>
   <configuration>
    <archive>
     <manifest>

<mainClass>net.sf.toolinstaller.ui.cli.Main</mainClass>
      <packageName>net.sf.toolinstaller</packageName>
      <addClasspath>true</addClasspath>
     </manifest>
    </archive>
   </configuration>
  </plugin>
</build>

The jar plugin generates the manifest so that the
classpath is generated and the mainclass is specified.

This means that my run script merely contains:

java.exe -jar ../lib/toolinstaller-0.2-SNAPSHOT.jar %*

The only thing missing here is automatic substitution
of the version in the jar filename - but I can handle
doing that manually for now.

Then, I've configured the assembly plugin with
src/main/assembly/bin.xml which copies the required
artifacts into the assembled artifact for
distribution.

Awesome - great work from the maven developers.

If you want to look at the full pom.xml and
src/main/assembly/bin.xml files have a look at my
files in the CVS repository:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/toolinstaller/toolinstaller/

I wonder if it would be a good idea to enable
substitutions when the assembly plugin copies
resources.

Thanks again,
Paul.