Posted to dev@devlake.apache.org by Liang Zhang <li...@merico.dev.INVALID> on 2022/06/01 07:08:03 UTC

Questions about ICLA and official release

Hi all,
As a new committer of the ASF, I’m not quite clear on a few things regarding ICLA and the official release. Can anyone help me clarify these questions?

1 Can we merge the pull requests created by someone who has not signed the ICLA yet?
2 Can we publish an official release containing codes submitted by someone who has not signed the ICLA yet?
3 What are the best practices for tracking the ICLA singing status of contributors?

Thanks

Liang Zhang

Re: Questions about ICLA and official release

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Please see my comments below.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 3:08 PM Liang Zhang
<li...@merico.dev.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all,
> As a new committer of the ASF, I’m not quite clear on a few things regarding ICLA and the official release. Can anyone help me clarify these questions?
>
> 1 Can we merge the pull requests created by someone who has not signed the ICLA yet?
If the PR just has a few lines of changes, such as fixing typos or
minor bug fixes. It's fine to accept the PR from the people who have
not signed the ICLA.
But if the change is big enough (Let's say more than hundreds lines of
code), we need to ask the contributor to sign the iCLA before the
maintainer merges the code.

> 2 Can we publish an official release containing codes submitted by someone who has not signed the ICLA yet?
We may face some problems if the contributor wants to remove his code
from the release.
According to the iCLA, the contributor should make sure he owns the
copyright of the code he committed,

> 3 What are the best practices for tracking the ICLA singing status of contributors?
Normally the maintainer can check the submitter of the PR if he signed
the iCLA with ASF before.
If not, we can just ask him to submit an iCLA.

Posted by Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Willem. This is extremely helpful.

Best,
Hezheng

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com>.