Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Broming plutonium <zh...@yahoo.ca> on 2005/06/01 02:25:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Problems on Linux

Hi everyone,

Is anyone here running the UNIX version of Apache
2.0.52 (that you compiled yourself) on a Linux
machine? I am, and there are a lot of problems.
Proxying doesn't work; authentication doesn't work;
headers don't work...

Let's talk about proxying first. Whenever I put
"ProxyRequests On" in httpd.conf, Apache wouldn't
start/restart. It said it doesn't understand
ProxyRequests.

As for authentication, whenever I try to start
htpasswd or htdigest, it always says "error while
object file: No such file or directory".

OK about the headers...whenever I add "Header..." to
httpd.conf, Apache wouldn't start. Same story here--it
doesn't understand what "Header" means.

I'm guessing that the reason these features don't work
is because I didn't have enough programs when
compiling the source code. I did notice a lot of no's
when running
./configure. What programs do I need to compile Apache
properly?

Also, how do I uninstall Apache if I've deleted the
source directory?

Re: [users@httpd] Problems on Linux

Posted by John Hudak <jo...@comcast.net>.
FWIW, I dnloaded same version and compiled it per the installation docs,
took the defaults, and installed under RH9 with all applicable patches.
Proxy works, don't know about SSL - havent tried it.
John
When you say 'programs' I am not sure what you mean...apache is stand
alone.  Calls to FTP for example are passed via the os and the
appropriate FTP daemon...Could you provide a copy of your compile string
and logs?  What version of Linux?  Sounds like you need to spend some
time reading and understand the docs...Have  you read the install,
config and run docs?
John

Posted by Patrick Donker <li...@webpagina.nu>.
Broming plutonium wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Is anyone here running the UNIX version of Apache
>2.0.52 (that you compiled yourself) on a Linux
>machine? I am, and there are a lot of problems.
>Proxying doesn't work; authentication doesn't work;
>headers don't work...
>
>Let's talk about proxying first. Whenever I put
>"ProxyRequests On" in httpd.conf, Apache wouldn't
>start/restart. It said it doesn't understand
>ProxyRequests.
>
>As for authentication, whenever I try to start
>htpasswd or htdigest, it always says "error while
>object file: No such file or directory".
>
>OK about the headers...whenever I add "Header..." to
>httpd.conf, Apache wouldn't start. Same story here--it
>doesn't understand what "Header" means.
>
>I'm guessing that the reason these features don't work
>is because I didn't have enough programs when
>compiling the source code. I did notice a lot of no's
>when running
>./configure. What programs do I need to compile Apache
>properly?
>
>Also, how do I uninstall Apache if I've deleted the
>source directory?

Looks like you are trying to use modules that you didnt load. Like
mod_proxy or ssl. How did you compile? What was the commandline and how
does your httpd.conf looks like? You dont give very much info besides
that it doesnt work...You dont even tell us what version you run and on
what distro!
You also might want to visit httpd.apache.org and look at the compiling
and installing section

-Patrick