Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1997/11/05 23:02:04 UTC

iexpolorer on solaris

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/97/11/05/msft_x000_1.html

Is this the first software MS has ever made for Unix?  Hm.  I haven't tried
it yet (working from home today) but the distribution tree is *very*
interesting - lots of shared libraries and evidence they've ported lots of
core windows systems stuff to Unix.  Oh, and I love the way they call
Solaris "sunos5".  :)

	Brian

"it's a big world, with lots of records to play."-sig   brian@hyperreal.org

Re: iexpolorer on solaris

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/97/11/05/msft_x000_1.html
>
> Is this the first software MS has ever made for Unix?  Hm.  I haven't tried
> it yet (working from home today) but the distribution tree is *very*
> interesting - lots of shared libraries and evidence they've ported lots of
> core windows systems stuff to Unix.  Oh, and I love the way they call
> Solaris "sunos5".  :)

No, they've had an AT&T source license for years. Stuff that's been in
SCO UNIX forever has an M$ copyright on it. I hear there's actually a
UNIX group in M$ somewhere.
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko

Re: iexpolorer on solaris

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
It works.  Barely.  Takes 35 megs of RAM, before it starts its memory
cache.

Seems to have trouble with some web pages; may be HTTP/1.1 issues or may
not, not sure.

Re: iexpolorer on solaris

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/97/11/05/msft_x000_1.html
>
> Is this the first software MS has ever made for Unix?  Hm.  I haven't tried
> it yet (working from home today) but the distribution tree is *very*
> interesting - lots of shared libraries and evidence they've ported lots of
> core windows systems stuff to Unix.  Oh, and I love the way they call
> Solaris "sunos5".  :)

But Solaris is sunos5.  Sun calls it that too.  Do a 'uname -a' on any
Solaris box.

As for being the first Unix software?  If you ignore FrontPage and the
extensions, Microsoft was pretty heavily involved in SCO Xenix, and they
had a compiler as well.

I wish they hadn't stripped all their .so files though.

> libolepro32.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically
linked, stripped

Would have been nice to poke around in them.

-Rasmus