Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 20:57:30 UTC

Extensions module: one jar or many?

The extensions module is growing.  This is a good thing :-).  Currently,
a single extensions jar is built that contains all of the extensions.
This makes distribution and deployment easy but requires that folks ship
code that they are potentially not using.  One possible solution is to
generate multiple extension jars (one per extension).  I have no real
preference either way.  What say y'all?

- James

Re: Extensions module: one jar or many?

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
James M Snell wrote:
> The extensions module is growing.  This is a good thing :-).  Currently,
> a single extensions jar is built that contains all of the extensions.
> This makes distribution and deployment easy but requires that folks ship
> code that they are potentially not using.  One possible solution is to
> generate multiple extension jars (one per extension).  I have no real
> preference either way.  What say y'all?

i prefer the latter.

cheers
</jima>

Re: Extensions module: one jar or many?

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
On 8/20/07, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The extensions module is growing.  This is a good thing :-).  Currently,
> a single extensions jar is built that contains all of the extensions.
> This makes distribution and deployment easy but requires that folks ship
> code that they are potentially not using.  One possible solution is to
> generate multiple extension jars (one per extension).  I have no real
> preference either way.  What say y'all?

i generally prefer smaller, more focused jars, especially when i'm
repackaging them in an application that my users have to download, so
i'm +1 to breaking the extensions up into separate jars.

Re: Extensions module: one jar or many?

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Sounds reasonable.

-Stephen