Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/13 11:07:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Git force pushing and deletion of branchs

Hi everybody,

Lately, ASF Infra has changed the write permissions of all Git repositories
twice.

Originally, it was not possible to force into the master branch.
A few weeks ago, infra disabled also force pushing into other branches.

Now, this has changed again after the issue was discussed with the ASF
board.
The current situation is the following:
- force pushing is allowed on all branched, including master
- branches and tags can be deleted (not sure if this applies as well for
the master branch)
- "the 'protected' portions of git to primarily focus on refs/tags/rel -
thus any tags under rel, will have their entire commit history."

I am not 100% sure which exact parts of the repository are protected now as
I am not very much into the details of Git.
However, I believe we need to create new tags under rel for our previous
releases to protect them.

In addition, I would like to propose to ask Infra to add protection for the
master branch. I can only recall very few situations where changes had to
be reverted. I am much more in favor of a reverting commit now and then
compared to a branch that can be arbitrarily changed.

What do you think about this?

Best, Fabian

Re: [DISCUSS] Git force pushing and deletion of branchs

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
Thank you :D

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Thanks Max :-)

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Max!

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1 for a protected master.

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org>.
+1 for protecting all branches including master.

> On Jan 14, 2016, at 1:20 AM, Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +1 on protecting the master
>> On 13 Jan 2016, at 14:46, Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Matthias J. Sax <mj...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> +1

>>> rel?

>>> chengxiang.li@intel.com>

Regards,
Chiwan Park

Re: [DISCUSS] Git force pushing and deletion of branchs

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1 on protecting the master

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1