Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas <ta...@online.de> on 2022/01/01 18:55:53 UTC

May I Introduce myself?

Hi there,

I'm Thomas.

After on and off working with Netbeans since it was called Forte or
SunOne, I finally convinced my self to try a bit of contribution.

So I started to rummaging through the Jira issues, took the liberty to
close some obvious SPAM issues as 'Invalid', (Btw: is this the way it
should be done? I was rather surprised, that I'm allowed to close issues
in the first place!) found a common reason to 6 of the issues
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-6349), added comments to
others that I hope are of some help, and also added some Issues of my own.

Now, in two cases, NETBEANS-4595
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4595> and NETBEANS-6345
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-6345>, I had the
impression, that people struggle with how to properly cope with
developing with several JDKs, and how this might impact the integration
of build tools (i. e. maven, ant, gradle)

So I would like to do a piece, that does give some instructions and
advice for that.

But on top of not yet having editing rights to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS (the wiki states, I
should ask here for permission), I'm not sure, whether this would be the
right place for it, as it seems to be geared to developing Netbeans,
rather than using.

So I'm just asking, to be put into the right starting position, to help
out with documentation.

I might be able to help out with fixing bugs later on; but I would need
to feel about my way in NBs code and process some time, before I'm ready
for that.

As for NETBEANS-4595
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4595> and NETBEANS-6345
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-6345>, I personally
would have deemed them as 'Not a Bug', at best they could be turned into
a 'Request for enhancement', but even this is in doubt, as Netbeans
obviously *has* a way to deal with that - its just different from what
the users expected. In a commercial driven support organization, these
usually get rudely closed as 'Won't fix'. What is the accepted policy
here in cases like this?

(This might still be another thing, that should get documented somewhere)

Regards,

Thomas

Re: May I Introduce myself?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Awesome, you're very welcome, keep doing what you're doing, and I've given
you access to Confluence (you may need to log in/out).

Gj