Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jeff Cai <jf...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2003/06/23 10:27:27 UTC

Can't display chinese title and sender name

Our Domino server is using James as an outside relay,
when I use Notes client to send out the mail with
Chinese title and sender name, the receiver just can
see ??? in title and send name.

If I use Outlook Express and James as relay the
receiver can see chinese in title and sender name, if
I use Notes client and sendmail as relay the reciver
also can see chinese in title and sender name.

Any idea?

RE: Can't display chinese title and sender name

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
I would have a look to rfc2047, that is not in the James cvs, but that you can find using google. For example I found http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2047.html.

Reading there, my understanding is that a mail client should always encode non ascii text headers (like a subject) into an encoded word:

	encoded-word = "=?" charset "?" encoding "?" encoded-text "?="

like Outlook Express does in your examples:

	Subject: =?gb2312?B?1tDOxA==?=

where gb2312 is the charset, and the message travels in such format. The recipient's mail client may/should at this point decode using the appropriate graphical representation.

Here is a snippet from the introduction of the rfc2047 specification:

<snippet>
   RFC 2045 describes a mechanism for denoting textual body parts which
   are coded in various character sets, as well as methods for encoding
   such body parts as sequences of printable US-ASCII characters.  This
   memo describes similar techniques to allow the encoding of non-ASCII
   text in various portions of a RFC 822 [2] message header, in a manner
   which is unlikely to confuse existing message handling software.

   Like the encoding techniques described in RFC 2045, the techniques
   outlined here were designed to allow the use of non-ASCII characters
   in message headers in a way which is unlikely to be disturbed by the
   quirks of existing Internet mail handling programs.  In particular,
   some mail relaying programs are known to (a) delete some message
   header fields while retaining others, (b) rearrange the order of
   addresses in To or Cc fields, (c) rearrange the (vertical) order of
   header fields, and/or (d) "wrap" message headers at different places
   than those in the original message.  In addition, some mail reading
   programs are known to have difficulty correctly parsing message
   headers which, while legal according to RFC 822, make use of
   backslash-quoting to "hide" special characters such as "<", ",", or
   ":", or which exploit other infrequently-used features of that
   specification.

   While it is unfortunate that these programs do not correctly
   interpret RFC 822 headers, to "break" these programs would cause
   severe operational problems for the Internet mail system.  The
   extensions described in this memo therefore do not rely on little-
   used features of RFC 822.

   Instead, certain sequences of "ordinary" printable ASCII characters
   (known as "encoded-words") are reserved for use as encoded data.  The
   syntax of encoded-words is such that they are unlikely to
   "accidentally" appear as normal text in message headers.
   Furthermore, the characters used in encoded-words are restricted to
   those which do not have special meanings in the context in which the
   encoded-word appears.

   Generally, an "encoded-word" is a sequence of printable ASCII
   characters that begins with "=?", ends with "?=", and has two "?"s in
   between.  It specifies a character set and an encoding method, and
   also includes the original text encoded as graphic ASCII characters,
   according to the rules for that encoding method.

   A mail composer that implements this specification will provide a
   means of inputting non-ASCII text in header fields, but will
   translate these fields (or appropriate portions of these fields) into
   encoded-words before inserting them into the message header.

   A mail reader that implements this specification will recognize
   encoded-words when they appear in certain portions of the message
   header.  Instead of displaying the encoded-word "as is", it will
   reverse the encoding and display the original text in the designated
   character set.
</snippet>

Notes seems to ignore this; sendmail seems to accept anything, so they work together.

Now, does the sentence "A mail composer that implements this specification..." mean that a mail composer can not implement it?

Secondly, should James do something to accept a "non compliant message", *if* it is not compliant?

Third, is it something that arises at the level of James, or is at the level of java.mail?

I don't know, and I "request for comments" :-) from others in this list.

Vincenzo

Posted by Jeff Cai <jf...@yahoo.com.cn>.
Which RFC I can study?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> But seems sendmail can handle correctly.

Actually not.  This:

> sendmail+Notes(works)
> Subject: 中文

is an RFC violation.

	--- Noel

RE: Can't display chinese title and sender name

Posted by Jeff Cai <jf...@yahoo.com.cn>.
But seems sendmail can handle correctly.

 --- "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> :> > So
what's your suggestion?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cai <jf...@yahoo.com.cn>.
So what's your suggestion?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cai <jf...@yahoo.com.cn>.
It's the one that doesn't work. I do some test, please
see below:

James+Outlook Express(works)

From: "test" <je...@xxx.com.cn>
To: <xx...@www.sina.com.cn>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:37:42 +0800

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0084_01C33A3C.A468DB90"

James+Notes(doesn't work)

From: CJF/HELLO@xxx.com.cn
To: xxxx@www.sina.com.cn
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:54:47 +0800
Subject: ????

sendmail+Notes(works)

From: CJF/HELLO@xxx.com.cn
To: xxxx@www.sina.com.cn
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:51:10 +0800
Subject: 中文

sendmail+Outlook Express(works)

From: "test" <je...@xxx.com.cn>
To: <xx...@www.sina.com.cn>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:56:46 +0800

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0096_01C33A3F.4E0EA880"
 --- "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> :> Is that
from one that works or doesn't work?  You

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cai <jf...@yahoo.com.cn>.
Here is part of a sample Stream file:
From: "????" <li...@x.com.cn>