Posted to builds@apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> on 2010/01/14 11:35:38 UTC

more databases

Thanks to Tim, we now have SQL Server on the new Windows box which is great for testing. The next step for proper automated testing of Cayenne (and some other database centric projects who have also expressed interest), is to be able to test on these common dbs:

* mysql
* postgres
* oracle 10 (I'm pretty sure the free dev license is quite sufficient)
* sqlite

Maybe more later, but those would be a great start. Now infrastructure have a new database server on the way sometime soon which will host the big databases behind Jira, Confluence, etc. However I'm wondering whether it would be more suitable to host these databases on one of the Hudson test machines.

I had previously attempted to do that within the Cayenne Solaris zone, but it was just too hard to install software within the locked down zone. Something that would be trivial in Ubuntu or FreeBSD.

I don't think I have access rights to allow me to install an rpm, so a Hudson admin would have to do it. Would this be an appropriate use of these resources? Could we proceed to set this up?  If so, I'll go create Jira tasks.

As for system resources:

* disk size: tiny (possibly measured in kilobytes for the data)
* databases: one per database engine for the Cayenne project (possible a couple more say if we want myisam and innodb as two separate tests)
* CPU: tiny load once per test run, not more than once an hour
* memory: they will all sit there using up RAM just idling, but they could all be tuned for a low RAM usage configuration since performance is not being measured as part of the testing.

Regards
Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: more databases

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 15/01/10 8:39 PM, Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Would it be of interest to add Apache Derby to this list?
>
> It might even be that using the fresh in-memory back end is of interest
> in some cases :)
>
> If anyone need help or further information, the Derby users list [1] is
> probably the best place to ask.

Thanks, but no need ever since Derby has been capable of running completely in memory.

   http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Cayenne-trunk/cayenneTestConnection=derby,jdk=JDK%201.6%20%28latest%29,label=Ubuntu/

Derby currently passes all our tests.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: more databases

Posted by Kristian Waagan <kr...@apache.org>.
Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> Thanks to Tim, we now have SQL Server on the new Windows box which is
> great for testing. The next step for proper automated testing of Cayenne
> (and some other database centric projects who have also expressed
> interest), is to be able to test on these common dbs:
>
> * mysql
> * postgres
> * oracle 10 (I'm pretty sure the free dev license is quite sufficient)
> * sqlite

Would it be of interest to add Apache Derby to this list?

It might even be that using the fresh in-memory back end is of interest
in some cases :)

If anyone need help or further information, the Derby users list [1] is
probably the best place to ask.

Kristian

[1] http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html