Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/26 16:39:49 UTC

Musing on a Community Repository

Having hit another project that doesn't want to maintain a Maven POM, this
made me muse about the possibility of a central 'unofficial' repository
option:
http://furiouspurpose.blogspot.com/2008/05/subetha-smtp-maven-and-community.html

Thoughts?

  - Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey Wiseman

Re: Musing on a Community Repository

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Geoffrey Wiseman
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In that situation, I'd probably contribute the repository poms to the
>> project in its issue tracker, and ask on the project's user list if
>> any other Maven users can take a look, review them and comment on the
>> issue.  Then submit the bundles to be uploaded.
>
> So, rather than segmenting official releases, you're arguing to not make
> that distinction -- that as long as they're willing to have an unofficial
> release (which is a precondition to either approach, really), then the
> artifacts of an unofficial release should just go into the public
> repository, with no distinction?

I'm not sure what you mean by "unofficial" here.  Has the project
released a tarball or zip file of their 1.0 (or whatever) release,
downloadable from their website, preferably with checksums and a pgp
signature?

If so, opening that up and submitting the jars to the central repo
with poms that have been reviewed by the community seems fine to me.

--
Wendy

Re: Musing on a Community Repository

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Geoffrey Wiseman
> <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Having hit another project that doesn't want to maintain a Maven POM,
> this
> > made me muse about the possibility of a central 'unofficial' repository
> > option:
> >
> http://furiouspurpose.blogspot.com/2008/05/subetha-smtp-maven-and-community.html
>
> As long as the license of the project permits, you _can_ submit things
> to the central repo.  It's best if things come directly from the
> project developers, but that's not always possible.
>
> Are they against having their artifacts in the repository, or just not
> interested in maintaining a pom?  Do they understand that they don't
> have to convert their project's build to Maven in order to make it
> available in the repo?

I haven't attempted to delve into the motivations any deeper yet.  I suspect
they don't want to maintain the POM, but don't mind their artifacts
appearing in the Maven repository.  I get the impression that they have no
interest in Maven as a build system, but are also unwilling to put any
effort into maintaining a POM and official artifacts, although I haven't
verified that impression yet.

> In that situation, I'd probably contribute the repository poms to the
> project in its issue tracker, and ask on the project's user list if
> any other Maven users can take a look, review them and comment on the
> issue.  Then submit the bundles to be uploaded.

So, rather than segmenting official releases, you're arguing to not make
that distinction -- that as long as they're willing to have an unofficial
release (which is a precondition to either approach, really), then the
artifacts of an unofficial release should just go into the public
repository, with no distinction?

I did see the note on the possibility of uploading the project even if
you're not a part of the project somewhere in the Maven documentation, I was
wondering if it was important to make a visible distinction between the
two.  Perhaps it isn't, given that there's unlikely to be both.  I guess as
a Maven user, if I found an artifact in the Maven repository, I'd prefer to
understand that said artifact was user-contributed vs. "official".

    - Geoffrey

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.