Posted to user@spark.apache.org by gaurav sharma <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/12 13:30:26 UTC

Re: createDirectStream and Stats

Hi guys,

I too am facing similar challenge with directstream.

I have 3 Kafka Partitions.

and running spark on 18 cores, with parallelism level set to 48.

I am running simple map-reduce job on incoming stream.

Though the reduce stage takes milliseconds-seconds for around 15 million
packets, the Map stage takes around 4-5 minutes, since it creates only 3
tasks for Map stage(I believe 3 tasks because I have 3 kafka partitions and
the

JavaPairDStream<String, String> kafkaStream =
KafkaConnector.getKafkaStream(jsc);

kafkaStream that i create in code is the parent Rdd for Map Job, so it
would create only 3 tasks)

I have 10 such jobs similar to above one working on same KafkaStream i
create

Could you guys please advise, if repartitioning the KafkaStream (taking
into account the rechuffle at repartition stage) would optimize my overall
batch processing time.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
Reading from kafka is always going to be bounded by the number of kafka
partitions you have, regardless of what you're using to read it.

If most of your time is coming from calculation, not reading, then yes a
spark repartition will help.  If most of your time is coming just from
reading, you need more kafka partitions.