Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl> on 2019/09/11 13:40:11 UTC

getting rid of ble_hs_dbg.c

Hi,

Since we have BLE_MONITOR support which is far superior copmaring to
ble_hs_dbg.c... how about getting rid of that file?

Are there any active users relying on HCI events debugging via logs?

--
pozdrawiam
Szymon Janc

Re: getting rid of ble_hs_dbg.c

Posted by Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi,

On Monday, 23 September 2019 15:52:45 CEST Łukasz Rymanowski wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 15:34, Andrzej Kaczmarek <
>
> andrzej.kaczmarek@codecoup.pl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:40 PM Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Since we have BLE_MONITOR support which is far superior copmaring to
> > > ble_hs_dbg.c... how about getting rid of that file?
> >
> > I'm all for it and also for removing other "decoders" we have - these are
> > likely not up to date with new features anyway.
> >
> > > Are there any active users relying on HCI events debugging via logs?
> >
> > I never used it since it's just hard to follow - this was main reason why
> > monitor interface was added to make analyzing HCI stream much easier.
>
> I agree, however we need a way to grab HCI logs not only on Linux machines.
> Maybe we could have some tool for Windows and maybe Macs which would store
> logs from monitor interface?
> Such logs could be easily read by btmon or wireshark.

PR removing protocol logs:
https://github.com/apache/mynewt-nimble/pull/581

--
pozdrawiam
Szymon Janc

Re: getting rid of ble_hs_dbg.c

Posted by Łukasz Rymanowski <lu...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 15:34, Andrzej Kaczmarek <
andrzej.kaczmarek@codecoup.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:40 PM Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since we have BLE_MONITOR support which is far superior copmaring to
> > ble_hs_dbg.c... how about getting rid of that file?
> >

> I'm all for it and also for removing other "decoders" we have - these are
> likely not up to date with new features anyway.
>

> > Are there any active users relying on HCI events debugging via logs?
> >

> I never used it since it's just hard to follow - this was main reason why
> monitor interface was added to make analyzing HCI stream much easier.

I agree, however we need a way to grab HCI logs not only on Linux machines.
Maybe we could have some tool for Windows and maybe Macs which would store
logs from monitor interface?
Such logs could be easily read by btmon or wireshark.

> > --
> > pozdrawiam
> > Szymon Janc
> >

> Best,
> Andrzej

Best
Łukasz

Re: getting rid of ble_hs_dbg.c

Posted by Andrzej Kaczmarek <an...@codecoup.pl>.
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 3:40 PM Szymon Janc <sz...@codecoup.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since we have BLE_MONITOR support which is far superior copmaring to
> ble_hs_dbg.c... how about getting rid of that file?

I'm all for it and also for removing other "decoders" we have - these are
likely not up to date with new features anyway.

> Are there any active users relying on HCI events debugging via logs?

I never used it since it's just hard to follow - this was main reason why
monitor interface was added to make analyzing HCI stream much easier.

> --
> pozdrawiam
> Szymon Janc

Best,