Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ross Boylan <ro...@biostat.ucsf.edu> on 2009/03/18 22:00:30 UTC

Re: merge fails locally as well--need version 3 of filesystem schema

I get the same error when I try the merge locally:
ross@iron:~/peter/R/earlyCutoff$ svn merge
http://localhost/svn/mspath/trunk
svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/1180/mspath/trunk': 200 OK
(http://localhost)

I had just created the directory with
ross@iron:~/peter/R$ svn co
http://localhost/svn/mspath/branches/earlyCutoff

The apache logs show
[Wed Mar 18 14:54:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [501, #0]
[Wed Mar 18 14:54:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Error writing REPORT response.  [501, #200007]
[Wed Mar 18 14:54:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] The 'node-origins' feature requires version 3 of the filesystem schema; filesystem '/usr/local/var/svnrepos/db' uses only version 1  [501, #200007]

Huh?

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 12:42 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> $ svn merge http://localhost:8000/svn/mspath/trunk
> svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/1180/mspath/trunk': 200 OK
> (http://localhost:8000)
> And nothing seems to have happened.  snv:mergeinfo is empty
> (non-existent?) and svn diff shows nothing.
>
> Can anyone help me to figure out what is going  on and how I can fix it?
> I've seen some previous discussion of similar errors, but a) they
> concerns commits and b) they mention case sensitivity.  I'm running
> Linux on both ends.
>
> At the most basic level, what does the message I get back mean?  It
> doesn't announce itself as an error; in fact it says OK,  But something
> has gone wrong.
>
> Thanks.
> Ross
>
> Background info:
> The repository is on a remote host; localhost:8000 port forwards to it
> via ssh.  The remote host is subversion under Apache.
>
> I executed the merge command from the root directory of a branch.
>
> Previously, while on the branch, I merged in some changes from the
> trunk.  This merger actually backed out some changes; there were some
> conflicts I had to resolve before I committed the alterations to the
> branch.
>
> Both systems are Debian Gnu/Linux Lenny, 32bit Intel architecture
> (client is P4, server is AMD Athlon).
> subversion 1.5.1dfsg1-2

Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross@biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062

Re: FSFS upgraded from vs to v3, still no merge :-(

Posted by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk>.
Ross Boylan wrote:
> I did a dump and load, and things seem to be OK.  Old-style merges work.
> New style ones don't, but I assume that is because the previous database
> did not record the necessary information when I made my branch.

Time to start checking out Mercurial methinks...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Re: FSFS upgraded from vs to v3, still no merge :-(

Posted by Ross Boylan <ro...@biostat.ucsf.edu>.

Posted by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk>.

Re: How do you upgrade an FSFS from vs to v3? (was Re: merge fails locally as well--need version 3 of filesystem schema)

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Boylan <ro...@biostat.ucsf.edu>.
On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:42 +0000, Chris Withers wrote:

> Heh, yep, so the debian guys screwed up :-S
>
> They upgraded us all from svn 1.4 to 1.5 without upgrading the
> filesystem, and without actually warning us at all.

NEWS.Debian says
  * In order to use certain features of 1.5.0, you will need to upgrade
    your repositories.  Unlike with working copies, this is not done
    automatically; use the 'svnadmin upgrade' command.

However, for 1.4 it has an entry
  1.4.0 also brings an incompatible enhancement (known as 'svndiff1') to
  the repository storage format, reducing disk usage by something like
  30%.  However, this ONLY affects new repositories, created with
svnadmin
  1.4.  Existing repositories will continue to use the old format.  If
you
  want to take advantage of svndiff1, dump and reload your repositories.

So I think we were warned :)

Posted by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk>.
Ross Boylan wrote:
> I get the same error when I try the merge locally:
> ross@iron:~/peter/R/earlyCutoff$ svn merge
> http://localhost/svn/mspath/trunk
> svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/1180/mspath/trunk': 200 OK
> (http://localhost)

Sounds like this?

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsMessageId=1346976&dsForumId=1065

> The apache logs show
> [Wed Mar 18 14:54:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [501, #0]
> [Wed Mar 18 14:54:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Error writing REPORT response.  [501, #200007]
> [Wed Mar 18 14:54:41 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] The 'node-origins' feature requires version 3 of the filesystem schema; filesystem '/usr/local/var/svnrepos/db' uses only version 1  [501, #200007]
>
> Huh?

Ah, me too:

[Wed Mar 18 12:49:07 2009] [error] [client 93.89.128.162] Querying
mergeinfo requires version 3 of the FSFS filesystem schema; filesystem
'/svn/db' uses only version 2  [501, #200007]

...well, almost.

>> Both systems are Debian Gnu/Linux Lenny, 32bit Intel architecture
>> (client is P4, server is AMD Athlon).
>> subversion 1.5.1dfsg1-2

Heh, yep, so the debian guys screwed up :-S

They upgraded us all from svn 1.4 to 1.5 without upgrading the
filesystem, and without actually warning us at all.

How do you upgrade a v2 to v3 FSFS?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk