Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ch...@emc.com on 2012/06/07 23:42:04 UTC

puzzling stacktrace

I have just reorganized my tomcat deployment to use catalina base and home.  I'm getting an obscure, to me at least, error on startup.  During the processing of my webapps I think.  I'm on tomcat 5.5.35, and, yes, I'm going to upgrade after I get the base and home thing working.

Anybody have some insight into this:

2012-06-07 15:28:47,616 ERROR [main]-digester.Digester: Begin event threw exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.deploy.FilterDef
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1438)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1284)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java:205)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:153)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1276)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1562)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationWebConfig(ContextConfig.java:348)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:1053)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:261)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:120)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4184)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:736)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1014)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:448)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:552)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)

Re: puzzling stacktrace

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/6/8  <Ch...@emc.com>:
>> All directories belong to their distinct place, which is either CATALINA_HOME
>> or CATALINA_BASE.  In the default configuration they are in the same place
>> only because those variables have the same value.
>>

> Are you saying that, for instance, 'conf' can ONLY be in CATALINA_BASE?
>
> So, I should copy the entire conf folder from the distribution into each of my CATALINA_BASE's and remove it entirely from the CATALINA_HOME?

Yes, you should copy the whole conf directory.

Whether you remove it from CATALINA_HOME is irrelevant, because Tomcat
will not be looking there.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: puzzling stacktrace

Posted by Ch...@emc.com.

Re: puzzling stacktrace

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/6/8  <Ch...@emc.com>:

>> What did you put and where?
>
> CATALINA_HOME has everything from the distribution, untouched ( unless my build has changed something, but it doesn't appear to be so ).  I've verified, in particular, that the server and common libs are there, and that the values in catalina.properties point to them accurately.
>

>> Please follow instructions in RUNNING.txt closely.
>>

> I believe that I have.  But it's not exactly clear to me on what I need in CATALINA_BASE.  I have, at this point, only populated it with things that I have overridden.  For instance, CATALINA_BASE/conf only has server.xml, because that's the only file I customized.  Are copies of all the other ones supposed to be there too?
>
> Similarly, I don't even have a 'server', 'common', or 'shared' folder in my CATALINA_BASE because I'm utilizing those classloaders.
>
> Perhaps this is wrong.  Personally, I can't tell from the RUNNING.txt doc.

All directories belong to their distinct place, which is either
CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_BASE.  In the default configuration they are
in the same place only because those variables have the same value.

In general, whatever you can change in your configuration, belongs to
CATALINA_BASE and should be present there.

In Tomcat 5.5:
The following directories belong to CATALINA_HOME:
- bin
- common
- server

The following directories belong to CATALINA_BASE:
- file "bin/setenv.bat" (or .sh) only.
- conf
- logs
- shared
- temp
- webapps
- work

In later versions of Tomcat the list of directories is similar, but
slightly different.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: puzzling stacktrace

Posted by Ch...@emc.com.

Re: puzzling stacktrace

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/6/8  <Ch...@emc.com>:
> I have just reorganized my tomcat deployment to use catalina base and home.  I'm getting an obscure, to me at least, error on startup.  During the processing of my webapps I think.  I'm on tomcat 5.5.35, and, yes, I'm going to upgrade after I get the base and home thing working.

What did you put and where?

Please follow instructions in RUNNING.txt closely.

The libraries in Tomcat 5 are split over more directories than in
Tomcat 6 and later. The paths to them are configured in
conf/catalina.properties.
I think you put server or common libraries into wrong place, or they
are not readable.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko