Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Stefan Matheis <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/08 00:24:24 UTC

Re: [POLL] Who & how does use "admin-extra" ?

Hmmm .. Didn't get at least one answer (except from Shawn in #solr, telling me he's using a 0 byte file to avoid errors :p) - does that mean, that really no one is using it?

Don't be afraid .. tell me, one way or another :)

- Stefan

Posted by Michael Sokolov <ms...@safaribooksonline.com>.
On 8/7/13 10:56 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : Didn't somebody once say this is used for customization of admin pages?
>
> it can be yes, that's why it originla existed -- Stefan's question was
> wether anyone was actually using it for that.
>
> I used it quite a bit back in the day at CNET as a way to "self document"
> what an instance was for and how to find internal documnetnation about hte
> instance and what queries to use it for etc..., but i haven't personally
> taken advantage of it in the new UI (where there are more customiation
> options instead of just a single header file)

I'm using it to link to some custom admin pages that are part of Lux
(see luxdb.org).  If there's a better way, though, I'd be happy to adopt it.

-Mike

Re: [POLL] Who & how does use "admin-extra" ?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
The problem I saw was that the styles were all reset in a funny way, so it
was hard to just say H1/H2/div/ui and have a reasonable content showing up.
It was all small undifferentiated text. So, one had to inject a whole
bootstrap/CSS reset to do something useful. And, of course, even that was
non-trivial.

Regards,
    Alex.

- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Didn't somebody once say this is used for customization of admin pages?

Otis
--
SOLR Performance Monitoring -- http://sematext.com/spm
Solr & ElasticSearch Support -- http://sematext.com/

Posted by Bernd Fehling <be...@uni-bielefeld.de>.
I have a table of links to all my servers running SOLR.
So I can jump from one admin page any other servers admin page.
And also a link to my monitoring server.
Not very innovative but better than an empty page.

So, yes I'm using it.

Regards,
Bernd

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
I was thinking of using it to provide example queries in collections I give
as examples. I also tested using it to inject a pop-out page that pulled
bootstrap/angular from CDN to do fancy interface to local instance. It
could have been useful if  - say - example distribution also had a couple
of example queries in there, not just empty files (as last time I looked).

On the other hand, I am not sure how to use pre-/post- menu entries at all.
I thought maybe they were injecting something into the main pane, but they
seem to be straight links to somewhere else.