Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dennis Doubleday <de...@righthandmanager.com> on 2002/06/04 17:51:55 UTC

How to get the original exception out of Struts?

When an exception is thrown in a bean getter that is called from a JSP,
you get the not-terribly-useful generic message and stack trace:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception thrown by getter for property
analysisCriteria of bean analysisWizard 	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContex
tImpl.java:463)
      at org.apache.jsp.lists$jsp._jspService(lists$jsp.java:302)
      at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:107)
      at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServle
t.java:202)
      at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:382)

Is there a way to configure Struts so it also outputs the message/trace
of the original exception, or do I have to put try blocks in all my
getters to accomplish that?