Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2014/10/06 15:13:37 UTC

ApacheBookStore.com

Anybody know who manages/owns/whatever ApacheBookStore.com?

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 10/06/2014 02:55 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>> Anybody know who manages/owns/whatever ApacheBookStore.com?...
> I suppose you noticed that "Added by" and "last edited by" on the
> front page point to familiar names?

I did, but the signup page has a broken CAPTCHA style security thingy,
and so I can't register to make edits. So I was looking for the person
who can fix it for me. I didn't assume that all of the editors were the
folks in charge. Perhaps they are. I'll ask them.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> Anybody know who manages/owns/whatever ApacheBookStore.com?...

I suppose you noticed that "Added by" and "last edited by" on the
front page point to familiar names?

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by "jleroux@apache.org" <jl...@apache.org>.
And if not, at least show OFBiz books, if the ApacheBookStore gets updated
We have some in the learning section at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books#OFBizRelatedBooks-Learning
As mentioned there, those sold by /Packt pay a percentage of the sales back to the ASF/ (I checked that some years ago)

I tried to update the ApacheBookStore  but I have no access with my Confluence credential

Jacques

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by "jleroux@apache.org" <jl...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Here is a blog about non-profits and "earned" income. It is certainly possible (and common). The two big things to look out for are:
- whether the goods sold are substantially related to the non-profit's purpose
- and how much income is derived relative to other activities

http://www.nonprofitlawblog.com/the-profitable-side-of-nonprofits-part-i-earned-income/

I know others who are more knowledgable can also comment.

~Roger Whitcomb
Apache Pivot PMC

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On 10/14/2014 10:55 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> With everything you have, of course, to consider whether the joy is worth
> the price.

Presumably that's up to the people that want to run the store! :-)

Mostly, I just wanted to be able to update the grossly outdated content
on that site, when I started this thread. Alas, I'm still not getting a
response from anyone that can actually do this.

--Rich

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Rich,

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Rich,

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Rich,

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Rich,

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheBookStore.com

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Anybody know who manages/owns/whatever ApacheBookStore.com?

On the front page:
1. "ASF Committers may add new items to our inventory or edit the item
descriptions." -> contact e-mail address

2. Last line on the front page: "Contact Administrators"
-> http://www.apachebookstore.com/confluence/oss/administrators.action

An interesting effort, but the site looks somewhat outdated and
unmaintained. The latest listed books are from year 2008.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko