Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/14 08:06:02 UTC

[LANG] JIRA management

So the current management process in JIRA is a bit rusty, but is intended
to be (as in I used to do it that way but no reason why anyone else should):

New issue comes in (Version Unscheduled)
We assign it to a future version. We use 3.2 for 'yes, soon' and 3.x for
'later'.
It gets done with said future version

I've the urge to change that.

Take this issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-903

It's a feature request. It has no patch or code. It's a great 'someone
please code'.

I still like the triage notion of a new issue coming in and being looked
at. As it is, I'm not interested personally and so I want to put it into a
'anyone wanna code' bucket.

So I'm thinking of a version called:

'Feature Request'

We could also have 'Patch For Review'.

We still have 2.7, 3.2 and 4.0, but we ditch the .x versions.

I think that would make our backlog of issues clearer. Here's the new
stuff. Here's the stuff that needs coding. Here's the stuff that needs
reviewing. Here's Bucket X of other stuff (bugs? chores like fixing the
site?).

What do others think?

Hen

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
To your point, this would be best as a JIRA workflow. It doesn't look like
we get to edit that by default, so I'm thinking of using versions as a
cheap method at first, then if it feels good I'll go work with Infra to
figure out how to turn it into a workflow that other Commons components can
choose. Unless Infra have my similar old habit of not liking such things to
be messed with :)

Hen

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Hen,

anything that makes working through the issues easier is good. But I think
i don't understand your proposal completely. Do you want to create a new
version that is called "feature requests"? That would feel like duplicating
information available as ticket type.

As far as I understand you're describing a ticket life cycle. I though jira
was so super flexible that you can model this kind of stuff with it.

Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [LANG] JIRA management

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 14/10/2013 08:06, Henri Yandell a écrit :

> What do others think?

I quite like triaging the feature requests with a 'n.x' version and a
'(n+1).0' version. The former indicates that the request can be
implemented in a compatible manner, and the latter indicates this can't
be done without a major release.

Emmanuel Bourg