Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/12 05:45:42 UTC

Hadoop CI with alternate architectures.

I am writing this email to reduce mishaps similar to the issue reported by
JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-11505. In a nutshell, an
x86 specific
performance enhancement broke Hadoop build on Power and SPARC architecture.
To avoid similar issues in future, could I offer my help here, as a
OpenPOWER foundation member.
For example, we could contribute a Power based Jenkins slave(s) to Apache
Hadoop CI. As we  have successfully done similar contribution to Apache
Bigtop CI in past  https://ci.bigtop.apache.org/computer/docker-slave-ppc-1/.
Thus, we could catch any regressions earlier in Hadoop  development cycle.
I'd appreciate community's guidance on this.

Re: Hadoop CI with alternate architectures.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> On 18 May 2016, at 16:29, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> 	That’s really a question for infrastructure-dev@apache.org . They manage the ASF build infrastructure which Apache Hadoop and lots of other projects utilize.  (Bigtop uses something custom, which I think is funded by Cloudera.)

There's no dedicated Hadoop boxes, just a pool of machines for all projects. I don't know about bigtop.

> 	Once it is registered with builds.apache.org, it’s just a matter of us enabling a Jenkins job for it. I suspect we’ll likely do it like we have done other architectures in the past: set up a nightly job that people will need to cognizant of.  Adding it to precommit would likely be too much and/or require some significant Yetus work to support reports from multiple hosts.

Nightly would be a good initial step; the hard part is getting it stable enough for its build-failed messages to not get ignored (it should be on send-no-emails mode until stable). Then comes the cultural shift: getting people to care that the build is failing. That'll be from native, OS and JVM issues.

Maybe Yetus could be set to warn that on changes which go near the .C or makefile code, that someone should explicitly kick off a precommit run on the PPC. That could be enough to remind those people playing with native code that that's something that really needs a check

> 	FWIW:
>
> 		* We have a Mac mini which, ironically, I thought I’d see if I could get a nightly job running on while I type this.
> 		* We have a dedicated Windows box which appears to be completely screwed up.

the default state of all windows boxes, sadly. The VMs are odd too; the FS permissions are enough to stop MiniYarnClusters coming up.

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.
Not sure what else needs to be done to get any comments from apache build
team.
This is getting frustrating.

In a nutshell, we (OpenPOWER foundation) willing to contribute both
hardware and resources to enable Apache Hadoop CI on Power architecture as
well. Is there anyone there that could help?

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Corey <co...@apache.org>.
He did create an INFRA ticket.

@MrAsanjar it has been noted and added to the queue. However, do note that
there are currently a small number of people to work on INFRA tasks, so
getting the time to work on your power added to builds cluster tasks might
be delayed.
On Jun 8, 2016 6:38 AM, "Upayavira" <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

I would suggest you either mail infrastructure@, or better, create an
INFRA ticket in JIRA. This list isn't used much anymore, and I suspect
isn't where the infrastructure team hang out.

Upayavira

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Allen for your advise,
We would have hoped that this problem could have been resolved by simply
getting in touch with the community, the same way as we had done with
Apache Bigtop. Their support has been superb.
Thanks
Amir Sanjar

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.
back to top:

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steve,

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.
Allen/Tsuyoshi

Posted by "MrAsanjar ." <af...@gmail.com>.
Allen/Tsuyoshi

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 08:29AM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:
>       That\u2019s really a question for infrastructure-dev@apache.org . They
>       manage the ASF build infrastructure which Apache Hadoop and lots of
>       other projects utilize.  (Bigtop uses something custom, which I think
>       is funded by Cloudera.)

Nope, Bigtop CI is not sponsored by Cloudera.

Besides, Bigtop is running itw own CI because we are producing a lot of
binary artifacts and don't won't to run a risk of clogging ASF-wide CI.

Cos
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Re: Hadoop CI with alternate architectures.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.