Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Durity, Sean R" <SE...@homedepot.com> on 2019/12/02 15:22:09 UTC

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Upgrade strategy for high number of nodes

All my upgrades are without downtime for the application. Yes, do the binary upgrade one node at a time. Then run upgradesstables on as many nodes as your app load can handle (maybe you can point the app to a different DC, while another DC is doing upgradesstables). Upgradesstables doesn’t cause downtime – it just increases the IO load on the nodes executing the upgradesstables. I try to get it done as quickly as possible, because I suspend streaming operations (repairs, etc.) until the sstable rewrites are completed.

Sean Durity