Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Suneel <pa...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/31 12:30:58 UTC

Solr caching memory consumption Problem

Hello friends,

I am using DIH for solr indexing. I have 60 million records in SQL which
need to upload on solr. i started caching its smoothly working and memory
consumption is normal, But after some time incrementally memory consumption
going high and process reach more then 6 gb. that the reason i am not able
to caching my data.
please advise me if anything need to be done in configuration or in tomcat
configuration.

this will be very help full for me.

-----
Regards,

Suneel Pandey
Sr. Software Developer

Re: Solr caching memory consumption Problem

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/31/2012 4:30 AM, Suneel wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I am using DIH for solr indexing. I have 60 million records in SQL which
> need to upload on solr. i started caching its smoothly working and memory
> consumption is normal, But after some time incrementally memory consumption
> going high and process reach more then 6 gb. that the reason i am not able
> to caching my data.
> please advise me if anything need to be done in configuration or in tomcat
> configuration.

I saw your later message about virtual memory and the directoryFactory -
most of the time it is best to go with the default
(solr.StandardDirectoryFactory), which you can do by specifying it
explicitly or by leaving that configuration out.

When you talk about caching, are you talking about Solr's caches or
OS/process memory and disk cache?    If you are talking about the caches
that you can configure in solrconfig.xml (filterCache, queryResultCache,
and documentCache), you should not be trying to cache large portions of
your index there.  I have over 11 million documents in each of my index
shards (68 million for the whole index) and my numbers for those three
caches are 64, 512, and 16384, with autoWarm counts of 4 and 32, since
the documentCache doesn't directly support warming.

If you are talking about how much memory Windows says the Java process
says it is taking up, take a look at the replies you have already gotten
on your Virtual Memory message.  As Erick and Michael told you, if you
are using the latest version (3.5) with the standard directoryFactory
config, most of the memory that you are seeing there is because the OS
is memory mapping your entire on-disk index, taking advantage of the OS
disk cache to speed up disk access without actually allocating the
memory involved.  This is a good thing, even though the process numbers
look bad.  JConsole or another java memory tool can show you the true
picture.

With 60 million records, even if those records are small, your Solr
index will probably grow to several gigabytes.  For the best
performance, your server must have enough memory so that the entire
index can fit into RAM, after discounting memory usage for the OS itself
and the java process that contains Solr.  If you can get MOST of the
index into RAM, performance will likely still be acceptable.

You message implies that 6GB worries you very much, so I am guessing
that your server has somewhere in the range of 4GB to 8GB of RAM, but
your index is very much larger than this.  You don't actually say
whether you lose performance.  Do you, or are you just worried about the
memory usage?  If Solr's query times start increasing, that is usually a
good indicator that it is not healthy.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr caching memory consumption Problem