Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Yair Gottdenker <ya...@cotendo.com> on 2008/07/01 10:14:55 UTC

RE: Hadoop - is it good for me and performance question

Thanks for your reply Haijun,

Do you know what makes Hadoop run so slow? I have been trying to figure
it out my self but I can't imagine anything so complicate that justifies
hadoop performance and latency.

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
MapReduce on Hadoop is for processing very large amounts of data, or else
the overhead of framework (job scheduling, failover etc) do not justify it.
If you are processing 10-100M / min = 14-140G a day.  This probably
justifies it's use I would say

You can't get a performance estimate on a pseudo cluster on 1 machine with
small amounts of data- it is just not what hadoop is designed for.

I have recently gone through what you are doing, and then I went to EC2 to
do my first real test at the weekend.
Have you considered a test run on EC2 with 140G file?  It takes about 1 day
from starting to getting running unless you are into EC2 already as there is
a fair amount to read and get set up, and will cost you around $5US total.

I blogged my experience here which will help you avoid a couple of pitfalls:
http://biodivertido.blogspot.com/2008/06/hadoop-on-amazon-ec2-to-generate.html

I have subsequently found I ran only 1 reducer, and it was the reducer that
took 50% the time - I should have run more like 10 reducers for the job I
was doing...

Cheers

Tim

Posted by Haijun Cao <ha...@kindsight.net>.
That I don't know, I would be interested to know too. Maybe you can
establish a baseline (a program that does wordcount and but not using
mapred) first?