Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/20 17:59:20 UTC

Artemis and REST interface

After having read this -
https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.0.0/rest.html

I see that there are REST APIs to produce and consume messages, are there
APIs as well to manage topics/queues - for e.g. to create/delete
topics/queues ?

Re: Artemis and REST interface

Posted by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com>.
I see. Thanks Justin

Re: Artemis and REST interface

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
I answered you on your other thread.  There's no need to ask the same
question in multiple places.

Justin

Posted by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Justin. What threw me off is this

"Apache ActiveMQ Artemis's REST interface is installed as a Web archive
(WAR). It depends on the RESTEasy project and can currently only run within
a servlet container. Installing the Apache ActiveMQ Artemis REST interface
is a little bit different depending whether Apache ActiveMQ Artemis is
already installed and configured for your environment (e.g. you're deploying
within Wildfly) or you want the ActiveMQ Artemis REST WAR to startup and
manage the Apache ActiveMQ Artemis server (e.g. you're deploying within
something like Apache Tomcat)."

I presumed that this complicates the entire REST setup. Let us say I have
started a process with an artemis broker instantiated. On top of this, if I
have to get the REST service up, what minimal steps are needed ? Sorry, I'm
new to all these Web technologies - I really do appreciate your time and
effort in answering my questions. Thanks Justin.

Re: Artemis and REST interface

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
As far as I can tell Artemis fits all your requirements except the
WAR/servlet part.  It seems arbitrary to me that you don't/can't use such
an implementation.  Artemis, even with embedded Jetty, is still just a
"plain old linux process."

To get what you want with Artemis you'll need to develop your own solution.

Justin

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure I can answer your questions with the information you've
provided.  You say that your use-case doesn't allow for any kind of
WAR/servlet deployments, but you are presumably asking about deploying the
REST WAR described in the documentation.  That doesn't make sense to me.
Also, you're asking about defining your own end-points in conjunction with
the REST messaging interface, but the REST messaging interface has its own
set of endpoints.  It doesn't facilitate you defining your own endpoints.
Maybe this all actually does make sense somehow, but I can't figure out
what you're actually trying to do and how REST fits in.  Please clarify.

Justin

Posted by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
I can't say whether or not it's technically possible to "package Apache
httpd along with Artemis." That question is beyond the scope of this list I
think.  However, I can say that Artemis already embeds the Jetty HTTP

Posted by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
There's a REST management API provided by Jolokia which essentially exposes
all of the broker's MBeans so you can do things like create/delete
addresses & queues.  See more in the documentation [1].

To be clear, the REST management API is 100% independent of the REST
messaging API.

Justin

[1] https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/latest/management.html