Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "bob@inter-control.com" <bo...@inter-control.com> on 2018/01/26 20:39:27 UTC

Scoring Issues

Greetings to all,

I have an issue with my setup somehow and it may be in amavis-new, most
spam gets detected and delt with, some gets through and the scoring
seems odd.
The headers that get through are usually along the lines of:

	tests=[HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, SPF_HELO_PASS=-1, SPF_PASS=-1,
	T_REMOTE_IMAGE=0.01, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01]
	autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no

If I run the email through on the command line with:
cat {mailfile} | spamassassin -D -t
it always scores correctly and considers it spam.
The example mail above actually scored 32.2 on the command line.

I am running:
Ubuntu 14.04.5
Postfix mail_version = 2.11.0 milter_macro_v = $mail_name $mail_version
amavisd-new-2.7.1 (20120429)
ClamAV 0.99.2/24255/Thu Jan 25 11:22:47 2018
Anti-Virus scanner version: 13.0.3114
SpamAssassin version 3.4.0
   running on Perl version 5.18.2

I have looked over amavis-new configs and cannot find anything out of order.
I don't understand how can most get caught and some get treated as this ?
I must be missing something.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 26.01.18 14:39, bob@inter-control.com wrote:
>I have an issue with my setup somehow and it may be in amavis-new,
>most spam gets detected and delt with, some gets through and the
>scoring seems odd.
>The headers that get through are usually along the lines of:

>	tests=[HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, SPF_HELO_PASS=-1, SPF_PASS=-1,

score SPF_PASS -0.001
score SPF_HELO_PASS -0.001

...who the hell configured SPF_PASS and SPF_HELO_PASS to score -1?
Neither of them is a sign of non-spam. in fact, spammers exploit this.

SPF only talks about FORGERY (often spam sign), not about spamminess.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Computer Bob <bo...@inter-control.com>.
Thank you,
Yes,  DCC Razor and Pyzor are installed and running.
I will look into your other suggestions and let you know.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

--
David Jones

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Computer Bob <bo...@inter-control.com>.
Also:

Re: Scoring Issues

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Daniele Duca <du...@staff.spin.it>.
On 27/01/2018 19:29, Ralph Seichter wrote:

> I trust you are aware that you actually penalise senders which pass the
> SPF check if you use a greater-than-zero score? Minus signs matter. ;-)

Sure it's a "penalization", but of an order of magnitude so little that
a minus, albeit more logically correct, wouldn't really matter in the
grand scheme of scoring. I merely need dkim and spf rules to exist to
use them in meta rules. But yes, a minus would be better :)

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Ralph Seichter <m1...@monksofcool.net>.
On 27.01.18 16:32, Daniele Duca wrote:

> > score SPF_PASS -0.001
> > score SPF_HELO_PASS -0.001
>
> I know, I meant to write that I score them at 0.001 (no minus sign in
> my case) but I'm lazy :)

I trust you are aware that you actually penalise senders which pass the
SPF check if you use a greater-than-zero score? Minus signs matter. ;-)

-Ralph

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Daniele Duca <du...@staff.spin.it>.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 27.01.18 11:35, Daniele Duca wrote:
>You are spot on, spammers are much more competent in setting up
>spf/dkim than most of legit mail administrators.
>
>I personally score spf/dkim that passes at 0 and only penalize the fails

note that score of "0" disables a rule, so this disables rules that depend
on SPF_PASS or SPF_HELO_PASS.

My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Daniele Duca skrev den 2018-01-27 11:35:

> You are spot on, spammers are much more competent in setting up
> spf/dkim than most of legit mail administrators.

sadly true

> I personally score spf/dkim that passes at 0 and only penalize the
> fails

score 0 is disable tag if it littery 0

i just whitelist spammers that does not spam

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Daniele Duca <du...@staff.spin.it>.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, John Hardin wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, bob@inter-control.com wrote:
>
>> Oh, here is the X-SPAM status from the command line:

>> Bob
>
> RAZOR and URIBL hits.
>
> Is amavis perhaps configured to disable network tests?

Regardless, giving -1 score for SPF_PASS and another -1 for SPF_HELO_PASS
is nontrivial DainBRamage.

It's trivial for a spammer to set up SPF on a throw-away domain and thus waltz
thru that kind of filtering.

Who set up amavis with that kind of idiocy?

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 26 Jan 2018, at 17:47 (-0500), Computer Bob wrote:

> My understanding is that spamassassin is configured for razor and
> uribl.
> amavisd-new is configured to call spamassassin so is spamassassin not
> doing the sub calls ?

Not exactly. The command-line 'spamassassin' script is written in Perl
and it uses various Perl modules in the Mail::SpamAssassin::* tree.
Amavisd-new also uses Mail::SpamAssassin::* modules but it does NOT use
the spamassassin script or any other command-line tool.

The effect of this is that it is possible for amavisd-new and
spamassassin to use different configurations for the
Mail::SpamAssassin::* modules. it is clear that this is happening on
your system.

> I see no docs on configuring razor directly in amavis.
> If you could tell me what to look for it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I can't help with amavisd-new because I don't use it.
However, it is certain that it is using its own oddball config because
these scores are ridiculous:

It's madness to give SPF_HELO_PASS or SPF_PASS significant scores on
their own. Neither should have a score outside of the -0.01 to 0.01
range: SPF is informative but not probative. These rules somehow got set
intentionally to sabotage-level scores somewhere that only the
amavisd-new process is looking.

--
Bill Cole
Currently Seeking Steady Work: https://linkedin.com/in/billcole

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Computer Bob <bo...@inter-control.com>.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Computer Bob <bo...@inter-control.com>.
Ok, I will look now, what am I looking for ?

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by Computer Bob <bo...@inter-control.com>.
I did not think so, but will check another day.
15 hours is enough for today.

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018, bob@inter-control.com wrote:

> Oh, here is the X-SPAM status from the command line:

> Bob

RAZOR and URIBL hits.

Is amavis perhaps configured to disable network tests?

> On 1/26/18 2:48 PM, David Jones wrote:
>> On 01/26/2018 02:39 PM, bob@inter-control.com wrote:
>>> The headers that get through are usually along the lines of:

>>>     tests=[HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, SPF_HELO_PASS=-1, SPF_PASS=-1,
>>>     T_REMOTE_IMAGE=0.01, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01]
>>>     autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no

   Venezuela is busy reaping the benefits of Socialism:
   in one year 75% of the population has, on average, lost 19 pounds
   due to insufficient food, and 82% of households are below the
   poverty line. (2016 Venezuelan "Living Conditions Survey")
  Tomorrow: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 262nd Birthday

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by "bob@inter-control.com" <bo...@inter-control.com>.
Oh, here is the X-SPAM status from the command line:

Bob

On 1/26/18 2:48 PM, David Jones wrote:
> On 01/26/2018 02:39 PM, bob@inter-control.com wrote:
>> Greetings to all,
>>
>> I have an issue with my setup somehow and it may be in amavis-new,
>> most spam gets detected and delt with, some gets through and the
>> scoring seems odd.
>> The headers that get through are usually along the lines of:

>>     tests=[HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, SPF_HELO_PASS=-1, SPF_PASS=-1,
>>     T_REMOTE_IMAGE=0.01, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01]
>>     autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
>>

>> If I run the email through on the command line with:
>> cat {mailfile} | spamassassin -D -t
>> it always scores correctly and considers it spam.
>> The example mail above actually scored 32.2 on the command line.
>>
>> I am running:
>> Ubuntu 14.04.5
>> Postfix mail_version = 2.11.0 milter_macro_v = $mail_name $mail_version
>> amavisd-new-2.7.1 (20120429)
>> ClamAV 0.99.2/24255/Thu Jan 25 11:22:47 2018
>> Anti-Virus scanner version: 13.0.3114
>> SpamAssassin version 3.4.0
>>    running on Perl version 5.18.2
>>
>> I have looked over amavis-new configs and cannot find anything out of
>> order.
>> I don't understand how can most get caught and some get treated as
>> this ?
>> I must be missing something.
>

> A couple of common possibilities going on here:
>
> 1. Make sure you run the command line above as the same user as
> amavisd-new is using to ensure you are using the same SA configuration.
>
> 2. How long ago did it score -1.999?  If hours have gone by, other
> things like RBLs and DCC can start hitting and cause the score to now
> be 32.2.  We would need to see the X-Spam-Status output of the 32.2
> score to have an idea.

<http://www.inter-control.com>

<ma...@inter-control.com>
*Robert J. Dettenwanger - Gen.Mgr.
9935 High Dr.   Leawood, Ks. 66206
(o) (913) 549-4974  (c) (816) 853-0653
bob@inter-control.com <ma...@inter-control.com>*

_*PLEASE NOTE*_
***This message, along with any attachments, may be confidential or
legally **privileged. It is intended only for the named person(s), who
is/are the **only authorized recipients. If this message has reached you
in error, **please notify the sender immediately and promptly destroy it
without **review. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is **strictly prohibited. *_*ALL RIGHTS RESERVED*_*. Thank
you for your help. *

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by "bob@inter-control.com" <bo...@inter-control.com>.
Ok, just got another and tested immediately.

header as delivered shows:

	tests=[DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1,
	DKIM_VERIFIED=-1, RDNS_NONE=1.274, SPF_PASS=-1,
	URIBL_ABUSE_SURBL=1.948] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no

Run as amavis on command line shows:
Content analysis details:   (23.0 points, 4.0 required)

Re: Scoring Issues

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.