Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Zisch (Matthias Meier)" <zi...@dals.ch> on 2004/06/06 18:45:38 UTC

Update [Re: Proposed Patch for IPv6 problem (bug 26600)]

Hi Andreas and the rest of the Lenya-Devlopers,

finally I found some time to play with Lenya ...

I posted an updated patch which addresses the problems with IPv6 in
o.a.l.ac.impl.AbstractIPRange and o.a.l.net.InetAddressUtil. I didn't change
anything of the public API, but deprecated some methods which were rendered
unnecessary by the changes (for example everything in InetAddressUtil except
for the contains-method). I also added some comments (javadoc and otherwise,
especially in AbstractIPRange) to explain what I did and why (and what
probably should be done in future version, see below ;-).

The patch is practically untested. Well, it compiles and the plain Default
Publication works fine on my SuSE/IPv6-machine. I found the form "AC
Auth" (Edit -> Edit Metadata -> AC Auth) in the Default Publication, but
frankly I didn't really understand it, and it seems to be buggy. Otherwise I
didn't (yet ;-) find out, how and where to configure and use IP ranges in
Lenya. Therefore I couldn't really test the code I wrote. ;-)

(BTW: I assume, you already know, that there is a problem with the menu-links
("Overview", "Meta", ...) For the "AC Auth"-page for example I had to fix the
link manually to point to:
<http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/info-authoring/index.html?lenya.usecase=info-access-control&lenya.step=showscreen>,
since the "lenya.usecase" parameter is chopped to "info-" for all links.)

I'm also a little bit confused about the appropriate way to do logging from
classes like AbstractIPRange and InetAddressUtil. These classes use the
log4j-Category to log messages. However, I couldn't find where to configure
the log-level. Therefore debug- or info-messages didn't show up anywhere. At
least error-messages were logged to the Tomcat-log in
<TOMCAT>/logs/catalina.out. (While I rather expected these messages to show
up in some log in [TOCMAT]/webapps/lenya/WEB-INF/logs.)

Since Lenya is based on Cocoon, I guess that logging should actually be done
using the Cocoon-logging-mechanisms somehow (that is, as explained in
<http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JavaLogging>). Could you give me a
hint about the "appropriate" way to do logging in Lenya? ;-)

Well, my main-problem is finding enough time to work with and on Lenya, but I
guess you all know _that_ problem. ;-) ;-)

However, since I already started to work on that IPv4/v6-problem, I intend to
continue that. And it looks as if I will have some spare-time in July and
August which I plan to use for learning more about Lenya (and maybe help
fixing some bugs).

I think my current patch-proposal should be quite usable (once it is reviewed
and tested ;-). But there are still some flaws. On one hand, I'm not a
TCP/IP-guru, therefore I'm unsure about some issues, like, if there should be
some kind of mapping between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. On the other hand,
there are some problems which cannot be changed without changing the public
API, especially the IPRange interface. (The main issue is that the
setNetworkAddress- and setSubnetMask-methods should be unified in a single
method to make it possible to check if address and mask have the same size.
See the comments in my patched AbstractIPRange-code for more details about
all these issues.)

As far as I can tell, the IPRange interface and it's subclasses are not widely
used in the Lenya sources, and I assume the same applies to third party code.
All in all, the changes would be minor and it should be simple to adapt code
which uses the interface and/or subclasses. So, if you are ready to change
some parts of the IPRange-interface, I could do this within the next few
weeks. (Actually, it should only take a few hours, but as already mentioned
above: I should learn more about Lenya first, otherwise I cannot even test my
own code. ;-)

Zisch

  Zisch (Matthias Meier), <zi...@dals.ch>

Re: Update [Re: Proposed Patch for IPv6 problem (bug 26600)]

Posted by "Zisch (Matthias Meier)" <zi...@dals.ch>.
Hi Andreas,

thanks a lot for your help. The demo site works fine, and I finally get a lot
of functionality there which I was missing in _my_ installation. This
probably explains most of the problems I had to fight with. ;-) I _was_
beginning to wonder about my installation. But since I didn't know, how Lenya
was supposed to look, I wasn't sure about the dimension of the problem ...

Anyway, I will fix my Lenya installation first and then come back to my patch.
Thanks again for your help.

Zisch

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Zisch (Matthias Meier)" <zi...@dals.ch>.
On Monday 07 June 2004 09.35, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Zisch (Matthias Meier) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The patch is practically untested. Well, it compiles and the plain
> > Default Publication works fine on my SuSE/IPv6-machine. I found the form
> > "AC Auth" (Edit -> Edit Metadata -> AC Auth) in the Default Publication,
> > but frankly I didn't really understand it, and it seems to be buggy.
>
> What bug(s) do you mean? Could you enter them in Bugzilla?

Since I don't really understand what the form is supposed to do, it's quite
difficult for me to describe what the problem is. ;-) I attached a screenshot
which should help to explain what I'm talking about. As you can see, the form
is "non-functional". The combo-boxes work, but the two add-buttons are
disabled, otherwise there is no button.or anything which would result in some
action. (And it's not clear to me, what the functionality of that form is.)

Well, possibly this has to do with the broken-links-problem I have. I had to
manually fix the link to point to
<http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/info-authoring/index.html?lenya.usecase=info-access-control&lenya.step=showscreen>
to reach that page. Maybe some HTTP-parameter(s) is/are missing? (See below!)

> > Otherwise I
> > didn't (yet ;-) find out, how and where to configure and use IP ranges in
> > Lenya. Therefore I couldn't really test the code I wrote. ;-)
>
> Admin tab -> IP ranges

Probably it's a stupid question, but ... Where is the "Admin tab"??

> > (BTW: I assume, you already know, that there is a problem with the
> > menu-links ("Overview", "Meta", ...) For the "AC Auth"-page for example I
> > had to fix the link manually to point to:
> > <http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/info-authoring/index.html?lenya.usec
> >ase=info-access-control&lenya.step=showscreen>, since the "lenya.usecase"
> > parameter is chopped to "info-" for all links.)
>
> Actually, I'm not aware of this problem. Is there a bug in Bugzilla?

Hmm ... I couldn't find anything in Bugzilla, which is strange, since it's a
very obvious bug. The problem are the tab-links "Overview", "Meta", ... which
can also be seen on the attached screenshot (but it's the same problem on the
"Overview"-page which you reach directly by Edit -> Edit Metadata in the
default publication). The link-references are all identical (and broken),
they all point to:

  http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/info-authoring/index.html?lenya.usecase=info-&lenya.step=showscreen

(Note the parameter "lenya.usecase=info-".)

As a result I get the following error when clicking on it:

  org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: Resource not found.:
      org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceNotFoundException:
  file:/home/zisch/Documents/dals/customer/wyona/lenya/lib/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30-LE-jdk14/webapps/lenya/lenya/content/info/.xsp
      doesn't exist.

Therefore I checked the ".../content/info"-directory and found that "fixing"
the usecase-parameter to "lenya.usecase=info-access-control" will bring up
the "non-functional" form which can be seen in the attached screenshot.

I start to believe that there is some problem with my specific installation.
(Though I already tried to remove all traces from former builds and generate
a clean new Lenya-installation. Didn't help. Maybe my Mozilla-installation is
broken or something like that ...)

Could you check if you can reproduce these problems (broken links, "AC
Auth"-form) with _your_ Lenya-installation, before I start submitting
misleading bug-reports? ;-)

> [...]
>
> At the moment, direct log4j logging is the common way to do logging
> from non-Avalon classes. This is mainly for historical reasons, but
> I wouldn't recommend to utilize another logging infrastructure (like
> the one described in the wiki) without discussing it on the list.

OK, I will stick to log4j for now.

> Feel free to make a proposal :)

Sure! I always like to tell people what they should do. ;-) ;-) ...

Well, integration into "Cocoon-logging" seems obvious, but I think the problem
with Avalon-style-logging is that you would have to "initialize" almost each
and every simple utility-class with the "logger", while otherwise many of
these classes do not (and probably should not) need to depend on
Avalon/Cocoon-stuff or a centralized initialization. You could try to work
around that, for example by making some "logger"-object statically
accessible. This logger should be initializable as an Avalon
logging-component and log to the Cocoon-logging-system or to the
servlet-containers log or to System.err (or ...), depending on the
execution-context and if it has (already) been initialized as an
Avalon-logging-component.

But actually I think this will quickly lead to a complicated overkill.
Therefore my personal favorite would be the java.util.logging-API introduced
with JDK 1.4. (I was very happy with that API in my last few projects. Most
important: it already comes with every Java-Installation, no additional
libraries needed! The only problem: you need JDK 1.4 or above. However, I'm
not sure what minimal requirements Lenya/Cocoon have. I think they probably
need JDK 1.4 anyway.)

> I think we should apply the patch after 1.2 is released and see
> what impacts it has.

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't expect any serious problems with the patch.
(Otherwise I will be happy to fix it. ;-)

> Thank you for your work & comments!
> -- Andreas

You're welcome.

I'm a little bit ashamed for the delays in my answers, but at the moment I
have a lot of other issues going on. Please excuse whenever I need a few days
(or even weeks ;-) to answer!

Greetings,
Zisch

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Zisch (Matthias Meier) wrote:

[...]

> The patch is practically untested. Well, it compiles and the plain Default
> Publication works fine on my SuSE/IPv6-machine. I found the form "AC
> Auth" (Edit -> Edit Metadata -> AC Auth) in the Default Publication, but
> frankly I didn't really understand it, and it seems to be buggy.

What bug(s) do you mean? Could you enter them in Bugzilla?

> Otherwise I
> didn't (yet ;-) find out, how and where to configure and use IP ranges in
> Lenya. Therefore I couldn't really test the code I wrote. ;-)

Admin tab -> IP ranges

> (BTW: I assume, you already know, that there is a problem with the menu-links
> ("Overview", "Meta", ...) For the "AC Auth"-page for example I had to fix the
> link manually to point to:
> <http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/info-authoring/index.html?lenya.usecase=info-access-control&lenya.step=showscreen>,
> since the "lenya.usecase" parameter is chopped to "info-" for all links.)

Actually, I'm not aware of this problem. Is there a bug in Bugzilla?

> I'm also a little bit confused about the appropriate way to do logging from
> classes like AbstractIPRange and InetAddressUtil. These classes use the
> log4j-Category to log messages. However, I couldn't find where to configure
> the log-level. Therefore debug- or info-messages didn't show up anywhere. At
> least error-messages were logged to the Tomcat-log in
> <TOMCAT>/logs/catalina.out. (While I rather expected these messages to show
> up in some log in [TOCMAT]/webapps/lenya/WEB-INF/logs.)
>
> Since Lenya is based on Cocoon, I guess that logging should actually be done
> using the Cocoon-logging-mechanisms somehow (that is, as explained in
> <http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=JavaLogging>). Could you give me a
> hint about the "appropriate" way to do logging in Lenya? ;-)

At the moment, direct log4j logging is the common way to do logging
from non-Avalon classes. This is mainly for historical reasons, but
I wouldn't recommend to utilize another logging infrastructure (like
the one described in the wiki) without discussing it on the list.

Feel free to make a proposal :)

> Well, my main-problem is finding enough time to work with and on Lenya, but I
> guess you all know _that_ problem. ;-) ;-)
>
> However, since I already started to work on that IPv4/v6-problem, I intend to
> continue that. And it looks as if I will have some spare-time in July and
> August which I plan to use for learning more about Lenya (and maybe help
> fixing some bugs).

That sounds great :)

[...]