Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Jesso <jj...@global-matrix.com> on 2003/07/23 17:32:30 UTC

[users@httpd] using an apache web server as the middle guy

I am faced with a very awkward problem.  I have a client who connects to
some web site to book airline tickets.  I would like them to connect to
our apache web server and get the airlines web pages that way.  I want
to do this because I want to get the some data into our system (I want
to intercept the http data and extract certain data.).

Can the apache web server act as a bridge between a browser and another
web server?  I don't want to replace the apache web server with my own
kind of web server.

So a client connects to my apache web server.  Something (?) there sends
(or forwards) the request to the airlines web server and receives the
response and sends it to the clients browser.

--
<jason/>

Re: [users@httpd] using an apache web server as the middle guy

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.
Jason Jesso wrote:

> I am faced with a very awkward problem.  I have a client who connects to
> some web site to book airline tickets.  I would like them to connect to
> our apache web server and get the airlines web pages that way.  I want
> to do this because I want to get the some data into our system (I want
> to intercept the http data and extract certain data.).
>
> Can the apache web server act as a bridge between a browser and another
> web server?  I don't want to replace the apache web server with my own
> kind of web server.
>
> So a client connects to my apache web server.  Something (?) there sends
> (or forwards) the request to the airlines web server and receives the
> response and sends it to the clients browser.

Basically, this is a proxy configuration, and there is an Apache module
that does that.

However, since I'm pretty much sure that booking those tickets involves
an HTTPS connection, you won't be able to see the content.
It's theorically possible to decrypt en reencrypt, but that would make
any browser scream there is something wrong going on.

You could develop a frontend for your client, with your own forms, that
accept the data, and then makes its own requests to the other web site.
That would mean interpreting the content of the site's HTML, and would
need a constant monitoring for change that would break your processing...
That can be done in many ways, CGI, Perl, PHP, JSP, whatever your fancy
is, but it's not obvious.

HTH,

Laurent

Re: [users@httpd] using an apache web server as the middle guy

Posted by Leander Jedamus <je...@Fh-Worms.de>.
Hi!

Yo can do this with perl.

Cheers,
Leander Jedamus

Am Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2003 17:32 schrieb Jason Jesso:
> I am faced with a very awkward problem.  I have a client who connects to
> some web site to book airline tickets.  I would like them to connect to
> our apache web server and get the airlines web pages that way.  I want
> to do this because I want to get the some data into our system (I want
> to intercept the http data and extract certain data.).
>
> Can the apache web server act as a bridge between a browser and another
> web server?  I don't want to replace the apache web server with my own
> kind of web server.
>
> So a client connects to my apache web server.  Something (?) there sends
> (or forwards) the request to the airlines web server and receives the
> response and sends it to the clients browser.

--
Leander Jedamus
Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsarbeit
FH Worms