Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Peter Kraus <P....@it-Kraus.de> on 2009/04/09 12:46:13 UTC

source-resolution and px unit

Hi,

I have a problem using source-resolution setting in FOP 0.95 config file.

I have a table cell with dimension 72px / 72px.
Using standard 72dpi that cell is 1 inch / 1 inch in resulting PDF.

If I change the source resolution to 300dpi the cell is getting larger in
PDF.
Shouldn't it shrink to aprox 1/4 inch / 1/4 inch ?

regards
Peter

Re: source-resolution and px unit

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On 09 Apr 2009, at 20:42, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

FWIW:

Peter also mailed me off-list, and as I replied to him, I think this
may have been my 'fault' (?)

At one point, I used both source- and target-resolution to determine
the 'absolute' value for a pixel. This leads to: 1px * 300/72
(assuming nothing special is done with target-resolution), which
roughly makes a value specified in 'px' 4 times larger in the output,
just like a high-res image that would be converted to a rasterized
graphic.
A perfectly logical result, but perhaps a bit hard to explain to the
average user...

Now, I'm starting to think this may not have been such a good idea (as
the source-resolution is actually used for images without embedded
resolution)

Suggestions and feedback most welcome.

Regards

Andreas

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Peter,

you're right. Something's wrong here. That used to work. Would please
file a bug in Bugzilla? Thanks.

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fop

BTW, we usually discourage the use of pixels in XSL-FO as it may be
difficult to reproduce the same result on different environments.

On 09.04.2009 12:46:13 Peter Kraus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem using source-resolution setting in FOP 0.95 config file.
>
> I have a table cell with dimension 72px / 72px.
> Using standard 72dpi that cell is 1 inch / 1 inch in resulting PDF.
>
> If I change the source resolution to 300dpi the cell is getting larger in
> PDF.
> Shouldn't it shrink to aprox 1/4 inch / 1/4 inch ?
>

> regards
> Peter

Jeremias Maerki