Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Greg Layton <gl...@captechventures.com> on 2003/04/16 03:56:50 UTC

Build System for Java

I have been looking at the Alexandria and Gump projects for quite some time
now, and, have seen very little meat to these initiatives. We have posted
BS4j (Build System for Java) on sourceforge
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/bs4j and feel that our concept addresses
these concerns and more. BS4j is in its alpha stage and ties full projects,
their dependencies on shared code and the environments in which they run,
together as a releaseable entity.

Obviously it is based on Ant, Java, Xalan and CVS. There are a couple more
pieces of functionality we will address before the BETA release. As we have
used this as a tool for preaching CM with a great deal of success, we
decided to offer it to the open source community and feel that its concept
is Apache worthy. Also since I feel that Alexandria and Gump are slow to
mature, BS4j can give the Apache suite a jump start in this direction.

What do you think? Is this how I propose such project? Do you need more from
me?

Thanks

Greg Layton

Re: Build System for Java

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>Andy, he fooled you...
>
>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/bs4j/
>
>Just someone who was trying to get free advertisement for their project.

It would have been a killer name for my April Fools joke project.
"bs4j"...  (to the non-native English speakers to "BS" someone is to
bullshit them ;-) --other uses "its all a bunch of BS if you ask me").

This reminds me of a funny story.  I once tried to convince a room full
of very overconfident German developers that McBS was not a good name
for their product that they wanted to market in the US...

However, what do I know....

-Andy

Re: Build System for Java

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: Build System for Java

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Build System for Java

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk> wrote:

> Try and hear what have to say over at the ant project.
> AFAIK they have setup a ant-sandbox for new projects.

No, at least not yet.

> So far I think they have centipede in there,

Even less true.

Stefan

Re: Build System for Java

Posted by Kasper Nielsen <ne...@kav.dk>.
Greg Layton wrote:
> I have been looking at the Alexandria and Gump projects for quite some time
> now, and, have seen very little meat to these initiatives. We have posted
> BS4j (Build System for Java) on sourceforge
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/bs4j and feel that our concept addresses
> these concerns and more. BS4j is in its alpha stage and ties full projects,
> their dependencies on shared code and the environments in which they run,
> together as a releaseable entity.
>
> Obviously it is based on Ant, Java, Xalan and CVS. There are a couple more
> pieces of functionality we will address before the BETA release. As we have
> used this as a tool for preaching CM with a great deal of success, we
> decided to offer it to the open source community and feel that its concept
> is Apache worthy. Also since I feel that Alexandria and Gump are slow to
> mature, BS4j can give the Apache suite a jump start in this direction.
>

> What do you think? Is this how I propose such project? Do you need more from
> me?

I really don't think this is suited as a top-level project here on jakarta.

I think you can either
1.
Try and hear what have to say over at the ant project.
AFAIK they have setup a ant-sandbox for new projects.
So far I think they have centipede in there, im sure your project would
be a welcome addition.

2.
convert your stuff to maven and get it contact with people on maven-dev.

- Kasper