Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Casey <jd...@apache.org> on 2009/03/22 03:13:21 UTC

[ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of Maven 2.1.0.

Maven is a software project management and comprehension tool. Based on
the concept of a project object model (POM), Maven can manage a
project's build, reporting and documentation from a central piece of
information.

You can download the new version at:

http://maven.apache.org/download.html

You can find release notes for this version below, or at:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&styleName=Html&version=14587

Enjoy,

-The Maven team

---

Release Notes - Maven 2.1.0

** Sub-task
     * [MNG-4025] - Prominently document opt-out setting for parallel
artifact resolution for users
     * [MNG-4042] - Use plexus-sec-dispatcher 1.0 in Maven core when it
is released

** Bug
     * [MNG-1349] - openssl checksums are not accepted by maven
     * [MNG-1585] - debug logging from wagon not shown in debug mode
     * [MNG-1992] - CLI -D should override properties in settings.xml
     * [MNG-1999] - Reporting inheritance does not work properly
     * [MNG-2432] - Apache and Mojo plugins take precendence over
plugins in the pom.
     * [MNG-2433] - Maven looks for snapshots in offline mode
     * [MNG-2605] - Profiles in profiles.xml are active by default
     * [MNG-2668] - Plugin dependencies should be considered when the
reactor creates the build order list
     * [MNG-2690] - DefaultPluginManager.getConfiguredMojo() doesn't
handle NoClassDefFoundError correctly
     * [MNG-2695] - -o makes build fail for snapshot plugins
     * [MNG-2720] - Multiproject dependencies not accurate for
project.compileClasspathElements when run from root project
     * [MNG-3023] - Reactor projects should be included in dependency
resolution
     * [MNG-3057] - properties not expanded in generated POMs when
building A/B/C nested projects
     * [MNG-3139] - The skin does not exist: Unable to determine the
release version
     * [MNG-3217] - a plugin's dependencies can influence other plugins
in a build
     * [MNG-3228] - Maven profile activation does not work when profile
is defined in inherited 'parent' pom
     * [MNG-3271] - <excludeDefaults> does not seem to work
     * [MNG-3284] - Cached plugins are used, even when the specifically
declared
     * [MNG-3314] - offline build not running, when having SNAPSHOT
dependencies
     * [MNG-3621] - site url inheritance broken for UNC paths
     * [MNG-3628] - When running offline, snapshot artifcats cannot be
resolved even if they have previously be dowloaded from a repository
     * [MNG-3641] - Lack of error checks on profiles
     * [MNG-3645] - Maven doesn't do strict model validation for POMs in
the current reactor
     * [MNG-3719] - [regression] plugin execution ordering no longer POM
ordered in 2.0.9
     * [MNG-3757] - Setting M2_HOME to nothing and running ant delets
contents of the current folder
     * [MNG-3769] - [regression] Excluding relocated transitive
dependencies does not work
     * [MNG-3776] - Namespace misspelled in settings.xml
     * [MNG-3808] - Execution order of report plugins is arbitrary if
inheritance is involved
     * [MNG-3810] - [regression] Null Pointer Exception when Activation
Profile Property is Empty
     * [MNG-3811] - Report plugins don't inherit configuration
     * [MNG-3899] - Inheritance does not merge extensions with same gid
and aid
     * [MNG-3906] - Project-level plugin dependencies are in random
order after merging
     * [MNG-3920] - Problem using velocity component
     * [MNG-3930] - mvn.bat doesn't handle ampersand in Windows user
name properly
     * [MNG-3933] - Profiles.xml does not pickup OS family
     * [MNG-3940] - Interpolation of environment variables is not
case-insensitive on Windows
     * [MNG-3948] - Remote repos defined by profiles outside of
settings.xml are not used to resolve parent POMs
     * [MNG-3974] - New mirror syntax is not stopping on first match
     * [MNG-4016] - Properties with the prefix project/pom are not
interpolated from the properties section
     * [MNG-4023] - Profiles from parent POM are injected multiple times
if parent is part of reactor build
     * [MNG-4026] - [regression] Order of project class path does not
match POM order during reactor build
     * [MNG-4032] - Test jar dependency not available for for main
classes in multi module builds
     * [MNG-4043] - Resolve or rollback WebDAV wagon deployment issue
where hostname is improperly extracted from URL
     * [MNG-4074] - cyclic reference with 2.1.0-RC1 that doesn't occur
with 2.0.10
     * [MNG-4079] - Duplicate error messages
     * [MNG-4084] - Unnecessary Warning for an activate profile in child
project
     * [MNG-4086] - [regression] Explicitly using plugin metaversions
crashes plugin manager
     * [MNG-4087] - Percent encoded characters in file URLs are not
decoded upon deployment

** Improvement
     * [MNG-1830] - add  a 'compiled on <timestamp>' label when maven 2
is invoked with --version option
     * [MNG-1957] - <jdk></jdk> clause in the activation section has to
provide more complex expressions.
     * [MNG-3424] - Respect ordering of elements as given in POM
     * [MNG-3451] - Add german translation
     * [MNG-3503] - Shade MX* classes from plexus-utils
     * [MNG-3544] - Beautify debug output for mojo parameters of type array
     * [MNG-3600] - remove default settings of 664 / 775 for permissions
     * [MNG-3787] - Add plugin version to default reports
     * [MNG-3794] - Improve error logging when downloading depedencies
     * [MNG-3795] - Add example <pluginGroups> snippet to
conf/settings.xml in distribution
     * [MNG-3867] - Support MAVEN_OPTS in mvnDebug script
     * [MNG-3951] - Hide drive-relative paths from plugins
     * [MNG-3971] - Provide parity in features between native ant-mojo
support and antrun plugin
     * [MNG-3975] - getArtifact(Artifact artifact, List
remoteRepositories) should include Exception in debug log messages.
     * [MNG-4024] - Open up CLIManager
     * [MNG-4037] - Include Java home in version information
     * [MNG-4057] - Propose checking of plugin artifact when plugin
descriptor cannot be found
     * [MNG-4075] - Tone down warnings about reactor dependencies that
don't have an associated file
     * [MNG-4091] - Validate the plugin descriptors and improve error
reporting when mismatched with artifact
     * [MNG-4092] - remove plugin listeners for minor memory improvement
and to avoid scanning descriptors from dependencies of plugins

** New Feature
     * [MNG-553] - Secure Storage of Server Passwords
     * [MNG-2097] - adding a phase called prepare-package
     * [MNG-3379] - Parallel resolution of artifacts
     * [MNG-3760] - Support property ${baseurl} to get RFC-compliant URL
of project base directory
     * [MNG-3914] - Add CLI option to control location of global
settings from command line

** Task
     * [MNG-2387] - <active> on <proxy> in settings is misleading
     * [MNG-2883] - Make sure that the network isn't used for snapshots
in offline mode when legacy repositories are used
     * [MNG-3602] - Schedule and release Doxia-1.1
     * [MNG-3842] - Revert temporary changes to scp wagon handling
     * [MNG-3936] - Remove m2.bat from distribution
     * [MNG-4030] - Release maven-plugin-tools 2.4.4/2.5 to enable
enhanced ant-mojo support
     * [MNG-4031] -  Release plexus-ant-factory 1.0-alpha-2.1 to enable
enhanced ant-mojo support
     * [MNG-4046] - Update to Doxia 1.0
     * [MNG-4077] - Review log level for
VersionExpressionTransformation.transformVersions()

** Wish
     * [MNG-4056] - Relax resolution of active project artifacts from
the reactor with regard to artifact type

RE: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The @phase will automatically cause a plugin to run at that phase, but
the plugin must still be mentioned in the pom.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The war plugin is introduced by the lifecycle. The mappings are
dependent on the packaging type. More info is available here:
http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/simple-project-sect-l
ifecycle.html

Posted by Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>.
Rob,
Thanks! That clarifies things.

Pankaj

Sorry, I should have added that the <execution><goal> element is only
required if the goal is not one of those in the lifecycle (corresponding to
the packaging type).

Rob, Lafros.com

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>.
Sorry, I should have added that the <execution><goal> element is only
required if the goal is not one of those in the lifecycle (corresponding to
the packaging type).

2009/4/2 Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>

> Rob and Brian,
> Thanks for the response. However, how then does the maven-war-plugin run. I
> do NOT specify an execution section for that plugin, and it runs in the
> package phase.
> So I am not sure why is it necessary to mention the execution element at
> all (with or without a phase). Just the plugin with a generic configuration
> node should do.
>
> Still confused,
> Pankaj
>

> > you still have to declare an executions element for the very same phase
> in
> the project that invkes this plugin.
>
> That's right, except you don't have to specify the phase - the one declared
> by the mojo will be assumed.
>
> 2009/4/2 Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hello Rob,
> > I wanted to ask you about your comment below where you state that even if
> > you have an annotation in a mojo for the execution phase, you still have
> > declare an executions element for the very same phase in the project that
> > invkes this plugin.
> >
> > That, kind of defeats the purpose of having a default phase specified in
> > the Mojo, does it not? And it certainly doesn't work that way for other
> > plugins (the war plugin for instance that is bound to the package phase).
> >
> > So am I missing something here or is this a bug introduced with 2.0.10?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Pankaj
> >

> > Okay, my mistake - although it was indeed the 2.1.0 mvn which was in my
> > path, I had forgotten to change the value of my M2_HOME environment
> > variable.
> >
> > Therefore, it was actually 2.0.10 which was being executed, which was why
> > my
> > goal was being ignored.
> >
> > And anyway, I had wrongly assumed that adding the '@phase
> prepare-package'
> > annotation to the mojo was enough to trigger the goal's execution - you
> > confirm that this works fine.
> >
> > Many thanks to Brett for asistance.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > 2009/3/25 Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>

> of
> > > the jar-packaged project?
> > >
> > > There isn't one, since the plugin's mojo has a '@phase
> prepare-package'.

> goals

> is

> > --

> Rob, Lafros.com

Rob, Lafros.com

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>.
Rob and Brian,

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Pankaj Tandon <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Rob,

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Rob Dickens <ar...@googlemail.com>.
Do jar-packaged projects now execute the new prepare-package phase?

Have just tried the new version out, hoping that my project with jar
packaging would execute the new phase, to which one of my plug-in goals
declares itself as being bound, but it appears not to.

Thanks,

--
Rob, Lafros.com

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

i've found a little issue based on an incompatibiliry of MVN 2.0.10/9
and MVN 2.1

I've defined some properties in my settings.xml:

<activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>homeoffice</activeProfile>
    <activeProfile>devn-oracle-test</activeProfile>
</activeProfile>

and based on that in my profiles.xml in the project there will be set
some properties:

<profile>
   <id>devn-oracle-test</id>
   <properties>
     <database.pom.groupId>...</database.pom.groupId>
     <database.pom.artifactId>..<database.pom.artifactId>
   </properties>
</profile>

So in my pom.xml file:

<plugins>
   <plugin>
     <...>
     <dependencies>
       <dependency>
         <groupId>${database.pom.groupId}</groupId>...
       </dependency>
</plugins>

<dependency>
    <groupId>${database.pom.groupId}</groupId>...
</dependeny>

In MVN 2.1 the build (or mvn install) will fail and in mvn 2.0.[9,10] it
works....

So may be i oversight something or am i'm doing things wrong ?

In MVN 2.1 is the settings.xml of the user not read ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
My apologies, I just assumed the RCs were announced on the user list.
I see now they weren't so that's our fault. We'll announce the RCs on
the user list when we get near the cycle next time.

On 22-Mar-09, at 9:57 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
>> This is why we really encourage people to participate in the RCs.
>> We had about 20 in total and we would have been able to do
>> something for you if you participated earlier.
> If the RC's have been announced on the Users list it might
> work...but from October last year (2008) till now (my own archive)
> no announcements have been made on the users list about Maven 2.1.0
> RC's ? I checked the online archive as well...couldn't find an
> entry...in the same time range..
>
> On the users list there is an entry on November 2008 about 2.0.10 RC
> and in December on 2.0.10 RC...but not for 2.1...
>
> May be i oversight something....
>
> I found an entry on 19. september 2008  about 2.1.0-M1 ?
>
> http://www.nabble.com/-ANN--Maven-2.1.0-M1-Released-td19565710.html#a19565710
>
> On the developers list if have many more entries on 2.1.0...
>
>> We still can, but we could have fixed it before it went into a
>> release. I think the quality of Maven has gone up exponentially
>> since Brian introduced the mandatory RC cycles but it's only as a
>> good as the amount of participation we get.
> I know...i'm participating many open source projects ...like Tika,
> Subversion and so on....
>
> But the problem i had was not really a problem of Maven 2.1 is was
> more a problem of mine....cause now it checks better the POM to it's
> associated DTD...and complains of wrong entries or order...
>
> But it might be good idea to create a User handleable change log
> instead of just JIRA entries...e.g. describe the consequences of
> changes....
>

> BTW: I'm willing to help in any way i can...testing...writing docs/
> update docs.. etc. just drop an email to me....
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> --
> SoftwareEntwicklung Beratung Schulung    Tel.: +49 (0) 2405 / 415 893
> Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
> Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
> 52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jason,

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

On 22-Mar-09, at 3:55 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> i have tried to run MVN 2.1 on an working MVN 2.0.9 build...
>
> and it failed...
>
> I got messages about not recognised tag "timezone" in the POM..
> which is part of
> <developer>
>  <id>..</id>
>  <name></name>
>  <roles>
>     <timezone>+1</timezone>
>  </roles>
>
> But i haven't found any hint about this change ? May be i oversight
> things ?
>
> The full pom ist available from here:
> http://www.supose.org/repositories/entry/supose/trunk/pom.xml
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> --
> SoftwareEntwicklung Beratung Schulung    Tel.: +49 (0) 2405 / 415 893
> Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
> Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
> 52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 22/03/2009, at 11:50 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> But on the other hand the web-site does not say a word about that ...
> http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Profiles to be more accurate they
> are simply wrong, cause they are using:
> <project xmlns ...
>
> I think the docs should be updated...If i can help ?

Sure - please submit a JIRA ticket for the issue, and if you can later
patch against the APT documentation for that file.

> A little difference has been comming up:
>
> MVN 2.1.0 prints out a warning about an non activated profile
>          and about not configured copying encoding
>          (build is platform dependent)
>
> But based on the above changes the build is working under MVN 2.1
> and MVN 2.0.9...

These are just warnings. The first is because you used a -P argument
that was never actually activated because the profile doesn't exist.
The second comes from the resources plugin I think and indicates you
may get different build results on different machines if they have a
different system encoding.

- Brett

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Benjamin,

> As per MNG-3645, the model is parsed in strict mode and <timezone> is not a
> valid child element of <roles>, it's a child of <developer>.
many thanks for the hint...fixed...

But now i'm running into a different problem, cause my profiles.xml
files does not work...The message says "Expected root element
'profilesXml'  but found 'project' ...
  Hm...

I've found MNG-2605, MNG-3641, MNG-3933 about profiles, but no hint
about that change...

So i have taken a look into MNG-3933 where a <profilesXml ... is used
and used that in my build and that has worked...

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> I got messages about not recognised tag "timezone" in the POM..
> which is part of
> <developer>
>    <id>..</id>
>    <name></name>
>    <roles>
>       <timezone>+1</timezone>
>    </roles>

As per MNG-3645, the model is parsed in strict mode and <timezone> is not a
valid child element of <roles>, it's a child of <developer>.

Benjamin

Re: [ANN] Maven 2.1.0 Released