Posted to zeta-dev@incubator.apache.org by Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info> on 2011/01/25 11:18:14 UTC

[zeta-dev] Thought experiment: A first release …

Hi all,

so, now that we have a release process in place, PEAR channel setup
triggered again and already some contribution approaches, we should
think some more about a first official release of Zeta. Still, there are
some things to be discussed beforehand.

Since we don't have that many new features / components, yet, I would be
in favor of doing a bug fix release as the first step. This allows us to
give new features / components more time until the summer release, but
still provide value to our users. What do you think?

If we go for a bug fix release rather soonish, we need to come up with a
release number. The last eZ Components release was 2009.2.1. A feature
release right now would be called 2010.2 (second scheduled release in
2010). Although we do not release new features, that sounds like the
release number to go. What do you think?

If we go for a release rather soonish, I would appreciate if some more
open bugs could be fixed until then, so we should have a small
development phase beforehand. To make that clear: If we really want to
go the way for a release, I would expect all people on the list to join
forces in respect to:

- Running tests
- Investigating issues
- Checking docs
- Providing patches
- Incorporating patches (for those with commit access)

Maybe we should announce something like a bug-hunt week (or 2), to
motivate people?

So, what do you all think about this direction?

Regards,
Toby

--
Tobias Schlitt        http://schlitt.info        GPG Key: 0xC462BC14
Want to hire me? Need quality assurance?            http://qafoo.com

Re: [zeta-dev] Thought experiment: A first release …

Posted by Ole Marius Smestad <om...@ez.no>.
On 25. jan. 2011, at 12.18, Tobias Schlitt wrote:

[...]

> If we go for a release rather soonish, I would appreciate if some more
> open bugs could be fixed until then, so we should have a small
> development phase beforehand. To make that clear: If we really want to
> go the way for a release, I would expect all people on the list to join
> forces in respect to:
>
> - Running tests

Should we discuss CI platforms and setup here, so we get that out of the way early on?

> - Investigating issues
> - Checking docs
> - Providing patches
> - Incorporating patches (for those with commit access)
>
> Maybe we should announce something like a bug-hunt week (or 2), to
> motivate people?

Good idea.

> So, what do you all think about this direction?

I think this is splendid, and a much needed step. I think it would also be prudent to prepare some time-frames for such a phase, it will make it easier to drive the steps forward, and we also have an indicator for people who are waiting for the release.

Ole Marius

Re: [zeta-dev] Thought experiment: A first release …

Posted by Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>.
Good morning,

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> The list I propose (anything can be discussed/added/removed of course :))
>
> - "Template string functions are not multibyte safe" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-15
> - "Extractor does not extract comment" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-2
> - "Component crashes with large uploads (>1GB)" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-70
> - "Links to PHPDoc are broken in code snippets in tutorials" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-65
> - "Autoloader should support namespaces in custom class repositories"
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-66
> - ""X-Powered-By:eZ Components MvcTools" in the PHP header and

As a follow-up ZETACOMP-15,2 and 49 are fixed.

I am having a look at ZETACOMP-66.

(It is really time to get a release)

Have a nice day :)
--
Jérôme Renard
http://39web.fr | http://jrenard.info | http://twitter.com/jeromerenard

Re: [zeta-dev] Thought experiment: A first release …

Posted by Maxime Thomas <ma...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/8 Jerome Renard <je...@gmail.com>

> Hi there,
>
> In order to get the release available as soon as possible I propose we
> decide
> a list of issues to be fixed (well, a roadmap) and then release. Since Zeta
> are
> already pretty good and stable I think we can focus on issues which already
> have patches or are trivial to fix.
>
> For bigger issues (like the Search related one for instance) which need
> more
> discussion I propose to postpone them to the next release.
>
> The list I propose (anything can be discussed/added/removed of course :))
>
> - "Template string functions are not multibyte safe" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-15
> - "Extractor does not extract comment" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-2
> - "Component crashes with large uploads (>1GB)" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-70
> - "Links to PHPDoc are broken in code snippets in tutorials" :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-65
> - "Autoloader should support namespaces in custom class repositories"
> : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZETACOMP-66
> - ""X-Powered-By:eZ Components MvcTools" in the PHP header and
>
> What do you think ?
>
> :)
>
> --
> Jérôme Renard
> http://39web.fr | http://jrenard.info | http://twitter.com/jeromerenard

+1. Good ROI.

--
Maxime
maxime.thomas@wascou.org | www.wascou.org | http://twitter.com/wascou

Re: [zeta-dev] Thought experiment: A first release …

Posted by Gaetano Giunta <gi...@gmail.com>.
Tobias Schlitt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so, now that we have a release process in place, PEAR channel setup
> triggered again and already some contribution approaches, we should
> think some more about a first official release of Zeta. Still, there are
> some things to be discussed beforehand.
>
> Since we don't have that many new features / components, yet, I would be
> in favor of doing a bug fix release as the first step. This allows us to
> give new features / components more time until the summer release, but
> still provide value to our users. What do you think?

+1

After the move there has not been a huge amount of things happening in the zetac space, we should try not to loose too much momentum

> If we go for a bug fix release rather soonish, we need to come up with a
> release number. The last eZ Components release was 2009.2.1. A feature
> release right now would be called 2010.2 (second scheduled release in
> 2010). Although we do not release new features, that sounds like the
> release number to go. What do you think?
>
> If we go for a release rather soonish, I would appreciate if some more
> open bugs could be fixed until then, so we should have a small
> development phase beforehand. To make that clear: If we really want to
> go the way for a release, I would expect all people on the list to join
> forces in respect to:
>
> - Running tests
> - Investigating issues
> - Checking docs
> - Providing patches
> - Incorporating patches (for those with commit access)
>
> Maybe we should announce something like a bug-hunt week (or 2), to
> motivate people?
+1

Posted by Maxime Thomas <ma...@gmail.com>.
2011/1/25 Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>

> From incubating perspective i think its pretty good to have a release
> even when its "only" a bugfix release.
> You can learn more about the process at apache and attract people to
> this project. And finally it's one more step to graduation. I think
> this will take so long after a first release.
>
> Best regards,
> Christian
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Tobias Schlitt <to...@schlitt.info>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > so, now that we have a release process in place, PEAR channel setup
> > triggered again and already some contribution approaches, we should
> > think some more about a first official release of Zeta. Still, there are
> > some things to be discussed beforehand.
> >
> > Since we don't have that many new features / components, yet, I would be
> > in favor of doing a bug fix release as the first step. This allows us to
> > give new features / components more time until the summer release, but
> > still provide value to our users. What do you think?
> >
> > If we go for a bug fix release rather soonish, we need to come up with a
> > release number. The last eZ Components release was 2009.2.1. A feature
> > release right now would be called 2010.2 (second scheduled release in
> > 2010). Although we do not release new features, that sounds like the
> > release number to go. What do you think?
> >
> > If we go for a release rather soonish, I would appreciate if some more
> > open bugs could be fixed until then, so we should have a small
> > development phase beforehand. To make that clear: If we really want to
> > go the way for a release, I would expect all people on the list to join
> > forces in respect to:
> >
> > - Running tests
> > - Investigating issues
> > - Checking docs
> > - Providing patches
> > - Incorporating patches (for those with commit access)
> >
> > Maybe we should announce something like a bug-hunt week (or 2), to
> > motivate people?
> >
> > So, what do you all think about this direction?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Toby
> >
> > --
> > Tobias Schlitt        http://schlitt.info        GPG Key: 0xC462BC14
> > Want to hire me? Need quality assurance?            http://qafoo.com
> > eZ Components are Zeta Components now!          http://bit.ly/9S7zbn
> >

> --
> http://www.grobmeier.de

I'm in. If you need some test, I can help on Search and Translation. Or
other ones if you want.
How do you plan the activity for the "motivated" people ?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
From incubating perspective i think its pretty good to have a release