Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthias Brunner <mb...@gmx.net> on 2003/03/21 14:47:30 UTC

wget blocks on cocoon pages

Hello!

First of all: I do not know whether this problem is really
cocoon-specific, it could also be related to tomcat or wget.
Yet wget seems to be fairly well tested and this problem does not
occur when other pages are served by tomcat.

Accessing a cocoon page with wget takes much longer than usual:
"wget http://localhost:8080/cocoon/" takes 20 seconds!
Packet analysis shows that the page is served within milliseconds and
the connection simply waits for a timeout then.
Therefore "wget --no-http-keep-alive http://localhost:8080/cocoon/"
is much faster.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Which programme is to blame
for this?

Versions: Linux, Sun JDK 1.4.1_01-b01, Tomcat 4.1.12, Cocoon 2.0.4,
wget 1.8.2

Best regards!
Matthias Brunner

Re: wget blocks on cocoon pages

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Matthias Brunner wrote:

> On Friday 21 March 2003 15:23, Andrew Savory wrote:
> >
> > 	GET -uUesd http://localhost:8080/cocoon/
>

> what "GET" command do you mean? Should I telnet to the server and do
> this?

Ah, okay: "GET" is a command that some platforms have as part of the
libwww-perl package. It is synonymous with:

	telnet localhost 8080
	GET /cocoon/ HTTP/1.0
	(return)
	(return)

Hope that helps,

Andrew.

Re: wget blocks on cocoon pages

Posted by Matthias Brunner <mb...@gmx.net>.
On Friday 21 March 2003 15:23, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Matthias Brunner wrote:
> > Accessing a cocoon page with wget takes much longer than usual:
> > "wget http://localhost:8080/cocoon/" takes 20 seconds!
>
> What sort of perceived speed do you get using the "GET" command?
> Try:
>
> 	GET -uUesd http://localhost:8080/cocoon/

Andrew,

what "GET" command do you mean? Should I telnet to the server and do
this?

Thanks for your reply,
Matthias

Re: wget blocks on cocoon pages

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi Matthias,

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Matthias Brunner wrote:

> Accessing a cocoon page with wget takes much longer than usual:
> "wget http://localhost:8080/cocoon/" takes 20 seconds!

What sort of perceived speed do you get using the "GET" command? Try:

	GET -uUesd http://localhost:8080/cocoon/

> Has anyone else experienced this problem? Which programme is to blame
> for this?

I'm not seeing the problem on Linux, JDK 1.4.1, Tomcat 4.1.18, Cocoon
2.0.5-dev, wget 1.8.2.

Andrew.