Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Ian Dickinson <ia...@epimorphics.com> on 2011/11/20 20:07:06 UTC

Example code

There are various bits of example code referenced from the current
documentation. There's more that I would like to add to support some of
the new content. What we don't have, at the moment, is a place to put it
(Paolo's github notwithstanding [1] :)

Proposal: create an svn module

   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/Jena2/Examples/

(with standard trunk/, tags/, branches/ layout). Use maven for
dependencies. For each example, e.g. the Ont API class hierarchy
example, create a Java package:

   org.apache.jena.example.class_hierarchy

in src/main/java, and put necessary resources (*.rdf, assembler configs,
etc), in src/main/resources/example/class_hierarchy

Optionally, we could group examples together by theme:

   org.apache.jena.example.ontology.class_hierarchy

but personally I'm in favour of a flat structure so that users can see
all of the examples at one level.

There should be some level of README documentation about each example in
the examples package somewhere.

Distribution could either be by just letting users check out the code
from svn or the git mirror (we could provide detailed instructions on
the web site), or we could add an assembly to zip up the contents of the
examples module.

Comments?

Ian

[1] https://github.com/castagna/Apache-Jena-Examples

Ian Dickinson                   Epimorphics Ltd, Bristol, UK
mailto:ian@epimorphics.com        http://www.epimorphics.com
cell: +44-7786-850536              landline: +44-1275-399069
Epimorphics Ltd.  is a limited company registered in England
(no. 7016688). Registered address: Court Lodge, 105 High St,
               Portishead, Bristol BS20 6PT, UK

Re: Example code

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 2011-11-20 at 19:07 +0000, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> There are various bits of example code referenced from the current
> documentation. There's more that I would like to add to support some of
> the new content. What we don't have, at the moment, is a place to put it
> (Paolo's github notwithstanding [1] :)
>
> Proposal: create an svn module
>
>    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jena/Jena2/Examples/
>
> (with standard trunk/, tags/, branches/ layout). Use maven for
> dependencies. For each example, e.g. the Ont API class hierarchy
> example, create a Java package:
>
>    org.apache.jena.example.class_hierarchy
>
> in src/main/java, and put necessary resources (*.rdf, assembler configs,
> etc), in src/main/resources/example/class_hierarchy
>
> Optionally, we could group examples together by theme:
>
>    org.apache.jena.example.ontology.class_hierarchy
>
> but personally I'm in favour of a flat structure so that users can see
> all of the examples at one level.
>
> There should be some level of README documentation about each example in
> the examples package somewhere.
>
> Distribution could either be by just letting users check out the code
> from svn or the git mirror (we could provide detailed instructions on
> the web site), or we could add an assembly to zip up the contents of the
> examples module.
>
> Comments?

Seems like a good plan. I'd be in favour of letting users check it out
to begin with (creating an assembly and zip may set a high expectation
of level of packaging than we want).

Dave