Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2013/10/10 10:35:37 UTC

MathML in javadoc, would it be okay?

Hello all

When we need to express a mathematical formula, we were used to insert a
PNG image. However this is tedious to create and non-editable. Yesterday
I wanted to rename variables in a formula from legacy OGC names to the
current EPSG names, and was faced to the non-editable nature of PNG. So
I tried MathML as an alternative. Can some volunteers confirm if they
see the matrix formula on the right side of the table in the following
class javadoc? It should work natively (no plugin needed) on Firefox,
Opera and Safari, but Internet Explorer may need a plugin [1].

https://builds.apache.org/job/sis-jdk7/site/apidocs/org/apache/sis/referencing/datum/BursaWolfParameters.html

If it works, would it be acceptable to adopt MathML as a way to express
formulas in SIS javadoc instead of PNG images, at the cost of requiring
developers using IE to install a plugin or ignore the mathematical
formulas? (hopefully it would be temporary, until IE catchup with other
browsers).

     Martin

[1] http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/download.htm

Re: MathML in javadoc, would it be okay?

Posted by Joe White <wh...@gmail.com>.
I've also verified it doesn't work out of the box in IE10.

Joe

Posted by Joe White <wh...@gmail.com>.
It works on Safari in iOS.

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Thanks Chris and Adam!

Posted by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com>.
Yep...I tested it on an older version of FF and IE and it seems to work
just fine. +1 from me!

Adam

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Martin Desruisseaux <

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 I think that sounds like a great idea!