Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by cricdigs <cr...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/17 22:05:55 UTC

Faceting Vs using lucene filters ?

Hi,

I have a collection of blogs. Each Solr document has one blog with 3 fields
- blogger(id), title and blog text.
The search is performed over all 3 fields. When doing the search I need to
show 2 things:

1. Bloggers block with all the matching bloggers (so if a title, blog or
blogger contains the search term, I show the blogger's id)
2. Blogs block that shows the blog titles for the matching blogs.

The first block is my problem since it shows multiple instances of the same
blogger if that blogger has multiple matching blogs. I can use faceting to
show the bloggers but is there a better or more efficient way to do so? I
was thinking of creating a lucene filter to do this, is it feasible?
Basically, I need the unique bloggers from the index whose blogs match a
given search term.

Thanks!

Re: Faceting Vs using lucene filters ?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: 1. Bloggers block with all the matching bloggers (so if a title, blog or
: blogger contains the search term, I show the blogger's id)

: The first block is my problem since it shows multiple instances of the same
: blogger if that blogger has multiple matching blogs. I can use faceting to
: show the bloggers but is there a better or more efficient way to do so? I

you've basically described the exact use case for faceting ... I'd be
hard pressed to think of a more efficient way of listing every blogger who
has at least one blog matching the query.

-Hoss