Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Craig Harris <ha...@SummerEyes.com> on 2005/06/27 05:38:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Intermittent failure to serve pages on W2K with 2.0.53

I'm serving two sites (virtual hosts) from a Windows 2K, Apache 2.0.53 server,
as a service.

Every three days or so, Apache just stops serving pages.  It doesn't crash, it
doesn't consume massive CPU or other resources.  It doesn't write anything
to any error logs.  It just stops responding to any and all requests.

On another Windows 2K machine, I'm running an Apache 1.3.29 server.  As
an experiment, I switched one of the two sites to this environment, and the
problem does NOT occur on 1.3.29.

I'm at a loss to know what to do to gather more information.  I've spent hours
searching the apache mailing lists and google for similar symptoms.  My web
site users are complaining and I don't know what to do.  I can't reproduce the
problem, except by waiting.  Sometimes it happens twice a day.  But mostly
it takes several days to occur.

One thing I've noticed is that the next-to-last recorded access is frequently a
request to retrieve a robots.txt file on the part of some search engine.  But
this may be irrelevant.

Is there any way to configure Apache to give me more information - either logging it,
or making runtime status queries?

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

-- Craig Harris
harris summereyes dot com