Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Victor Popiol <vp...@douwantit.com> on 2002/06/19 18:52:13 UTC

Tomcat 4 performance issues

Hi all.

We have deployed a new web application to our production server and have noticed that the performance is terrible.

We then configured 2 test environments running Tomcat 4 and JRun 4. After testing we determined that JRun's performance (out of the box) is orders of magnitude better than Tomcat's.

We believe that our Tomcat configuration could be twicked to improve performance.

These are the details about our deployment:
- Win 2K, 1 CPU 700 Mhz, 512 M Ram
- IIS front end using isapi_redirector.dll
- One Tomcat instance
- Minimum memory (-Xms) is 128 MB. Maximum memory is 256 MB
- Server logging includes the Access Log
- Application uses Struts

We have twicked the AJP connector to preallocate 100 threads, grow up to 200 and allow a queue of up to 50 requests. We have never reached these limits.

The main and evident symptom is that the requests to Tomcat seam to be serialized and handled one by one. Also the CPU utilization is pegged at 100% while the requests are being served.

Before making a decision to replace Tomcat, I would like to hear some advice regarding configuration and tuning.

Thanks
Victor

[Tomcat 4.1.3] ROOT.war does not deploy

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hello,

I removed Tomcat's ROOT directory and replaced it with my own app's ROOT.war
file.

When I restart tomcat ROOT.war does not deploy. autoDeploy=true is set in my
server.xml file for the root context.

When i change the file name ROOT.war to root.war, Tomcat deploys the app.

I need to autodeploy my app as the root app for tomcat, since I'm using
Tomcat as a standalone web server.

Why won't ROOT.war deploy?

Thanks,

Les Hazlewood

[Tomcat 4.1.3] JasperExceptions - SQLException without Line Numbers

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hello all,

I posted this before, but I've received no answer, so hopefully I can get
one this time around ;)
Tomcat 4.1.3 is NOT giving me line numbers when SQLExceptions are thrown
from inside a javabean.  The only time I'm not getting line numbers is when
I have a bad query.  This in turn throws an SQLException in my javabean, and
the stack trace says "Unknown Source".

I decided to stick some junk at the end of an already working query string,
so the bean would compile, but there would be a parse error in the sql so I
could demonstrate the error.

Here is the exception as noted by Tomcat:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near
"lalala"

       at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:2
32)
       at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:289)
       at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:240)
<snip>

Root Cause:

javax.servlet.ServletException: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near
"lalala"

       at
l.java:479)
       at org.apache.jsp.main$jsp._jspService(Unknown Source)
       at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:109)

Under the Root Cause on the second line, why is it saying Unknown Source? In
this case of the SQLException I know where the error is occuring, because I
purposely put it there for demonstration.

However, I'm redoing a lot of my app's SQL code to work with another DB, and
every time I get an SQLException, I have NO IDEA which SQL query is giving
me the error.  I usually know the bean, but still, this is horrible for
debugging.

Puhleaaase help in any way that you can.  Im pretty sure this is a bug....am
I correct.  Is there a way to report it?

Thanks,

Les Hazlewood

Re: Tomcat 4 performance issues

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Victor Popiol wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> We have deployed a new web application to our production server and have noticed that the performance is terrible.
>
> We then configured 2 test environments running Tomcat 4 and JRun 4. After testing we determined that JRun's performance (out of the box) is orders of magnitude better than Tomcat's.
>
> We believe that our Tomcat configuration could be twicked to improve performance.
>
> These are the details about our deployment:
> - Win 2K, 1 CPU 700 Mhz, 512 M Ram
> - IIS front end using isapi_redirector.dll
> - One Tomcat instance
> - Minimum memory (-Xms) is 128 MB. Maximum memory is 256 MB
> - Server logging includes the Access Log
> - Application uses Struts
>
> We have twicked the AJP connector to preallocate 100 threads, grow up to 200 and allow a queue of up to 50 requests. We have never reached these limits.
>
> The main and evident symptom is that the requests to Tomcat seam to be serialized and handled one by one. Also the CPU utilization is pegged at 100% while the requests are being served.
>
> Before making a decision to replace Tomcat, I would like to hear some advice regarding configuration and tuning.

Applications with pages having lots of tags can be very slow when using
Sun JVMs because of a Sun JVM bug.
Jasper 2 (included in Tomcat 4.1.3 Beta) fixes the code it generates, so
that we don't trigger the JVM bug anymore.

IMO, you should try Tomcat 4.1.3 to see if it helps.

Remy