Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Chad La Joie <cl...@vt.edu> on 2001/06/18 15:00:03 UTC

Newbie API question

I am evaluating the use of Caccoon 2 and have a basic question about the
API.  Thus far I've really likes what I have seen but I am curious as to
whether it is possible access Caccoon in some other way then HTTP.   As I
understand it right now, the Matcher maps an HTTP request to a certain set
of tasks to be pipelined.  I'd like to be able to call a function within my
program and do the same thing.  Right now it seems as if my only option is
to create some sort of HTTP proxy class, which I don't really want to do,
to interact with Caccoon.  Can some help me?  Thanks.

Re: Newbie API question

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Chad La Joie wrote:

> I am evaluating the use of Caccoon 2 and have a basic question about the

First of all: this project is called Cocoon.

> API.  Thus far I've really likes what I have seen but I am curious as to
> whether it is possible access Caccoon in some other way then HTTP.

You need to implement the interfaces located in
org.apache.cocoon.environment to fit into another Environment that HTTP.
The http subpackage therein can be used aas a sample on how to do that.

The sitemap engine interacts only with the Environment object provided
by the surrounding environment.

The actually implemented sitemap component based on the
interfaces Matchers, Selectors, Actions, Generators,
Transformers and Serializers may be environment dependant but
the contracting Interfaces to build them are not.

> As I
> understand it right now, the Matcher maps an HTTP request to a certain set
> of tasks to be pipelined.

Most people think this is a key element but it is in fact more general
then that. We actually have
only those two URI-Matchers (wildcard and regexp) as implementations. In
fact you can write a matcher that matches anything youd like it
to match. the same is true for Selectors as well.

> I'd like to be able to call a function within my program and do the
> same thing.  Right now it seems as if my only option is to create
> some sort of HTTP proxy class, which I don't really want to do, to
> interact with Caccoon.  Can some help me?  Thanks.

I don't understand what you'd like to do, sorry.

Giacomo