Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2012/07/11 10:48:43 UTC

[VOTE] Accept EasyAnt as a subproject

EasyAnt is a project based on Ant and Ivy which is in incubation under our "sponsoring".

I kind of misunderstood the "sponsoring". I was thinking that it was implying that EasyAnt will become part of the Ant project. It doesn't bylaw. We just cleared it out with the EasyAnt community. So let's clear it out with this vote for the Ant PMC.
I also thought that EasyAnt should have a classical incubation period, doing release and growing a community. But it has no sense since if EasyAnt is accepted as a subproject of Ant, the Ant PMC will be responsible for EasyAnt code and releases.

So if we accept EasyAnt, the code will be imported, committers added. But releases should be voted by us. I'm the only active EasyAnt committer which is also an Ant PMC member. This means that other Ant PMC member should be involved so that things can roll. We have been managing that with Ivy and IvyDE, but this is something that should have in mind while voting. Also note that it would somehow resolve itself it some EasyAnt developer become part of the Ant PMC, some of them have already wrote some nice patches on Ant and Ivy :)

So, should we accept EasyAnt as a subproject ?

Nicolas

Re: [VOTE] Accept EasyAnt as a subproject

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi

I guess one of the problems we see here is that +1 doesn't just mean
"why not?" but rather "yes!".

I'm one of EasyAnt's mentors and have been watching it for quite some
time now.  TBH it has been veeery silent for a long time.  Apart from
Nicolas and Jean-Louis there is no active committer - and for some
extended stretches there hasn't been any development at all.  Sounds
familiar, doesn't it?

<http://www.ohloh.net/p/easyant/commits/summary>

The Ant community isn't the most active one by itself, a new project
might trigger more activity so I'm leaning towards a positive vote.

I'm not sure the Ant PMC would be doing a good service to EasyAnt (you'd
likely not get three PMC +1s given the feedback on this vote), but this
is EasyAnt's decision.

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Accept EasyAnt as a subproject

Posted by Greg Roodt <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Accept EasyAnt as a subproject

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 15 août 2012 à 23:08, Maarten Coene a écrit :

> Nicolas,
>
> Maybe we could vote again later when there are more people around?
> I haven't been online for about a month, that's why you didn't get my vote.

Yes, this is what have been discussed on an easyant mailing list, we'll try later after showing some nice activity from the easyant committers.

Nicolas

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 19 juil. 2012 à 11:50, Jean-Louis Boudart a écrit :

> This topic doesn't look like popular :)
>
> Should we consider this silence as a "no go"?

Since there is absolutely no negative or mitigated (+/-0) vote, it is difficult to interpret this vote as failed. I'll keep the vote open for more few days until I do close it. Let's say until the 25th, two weeks of open vote.

Nicolas

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
On 12-07-19 02:50 AM, Jean-Louis Boudart wrote:
 > This topic doesn't look like popular :)
 >
 > Should we consider this silence as a "no go"?

Well, I haven't seen any disagreement with the proposal. It looks more
like just a general lack of participation in the dev group, partly from
the fact that it is summer (in the northern hemisphere) and partly from
the fact that we have been slowing down anyway. For example, this is
just the 20th non-automated message that has been posted to this list in
the month of July.

If anything, the lack of conversation seems to indicate that we do need
the fresh blood that EasyAnt would bring.

Having said that, there do not seem to be the votes required to make
this happen unless others are willing to jump in and vote.

Re: [VOTE] Accept EasyAnt as a subproject

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
explicitly binding my vote:

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.
I was watching the original discussion on incubator mailing list few days
ago, and like Nicolas i misunderstood the sponsoring of Ant project to
EasyAnt.

I don't see any advantage to build an independent PMC.

EasyAnt is build on top of ant and ivy, and it doesn't mean we just want to
use the library under the hood. EasyAnt is here also to promote those
powerful tools and bring fresh ideas, we already contributed features to
both project, and i'm pretty sure we will continue in this way. As we
depend on those project and really plan to contribute to them i would feel
more confortable if Ant PMC is aware about easyant release and vice et
versa.

EasyAnt will try to be always using upstream version of both project, and
particular needs for us could probably "stimulate" ant or ivy release
frequency.

If one day, some of us becomes part of Ant PMC,  we could also help on
releasing Ant + Ivy.

Cheers,