Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org> on 2020/10/03 18:41:00 UTC

Hacktoberfest

Hi all,

Today, I came across this update [1] from DigitalOcean, one of the
companies behind Hacktoberfest. TL;DR: to prevent "spam pull requests",
only accepted/merged/approved pull requests against GitHub repositories
labelled "hacktoberfest" qualify for the free t-shirt or planting a
tree. This is other than previous years, where _every_ pull request
would qualify, even if the repository owner did not explicitly
participate in Hacktoberfest.

I would argue it makes sense to opt-in Maven repositories for
Hacktoberfest. If it could encourage people to start contributing to
Maven, I think that would be useful. It might also bring Maven to the
attention of people who are looking for (Java) projects to contribute to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Maarten

[1] https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>.
Same for me - I think having (new) contributions is important, so I will
reserve some time for that in this month.

 From the contributor point of view, a PR counts if:

Submitted in a repo with the hacktoberfest topic AND
during the month of October AND (
   The PR is merged OR
   The PR is labelled as hacktoberfest-accepted by a maintainer OR
   The PR has been approved
)

So from our point of view, we don't need to have the contributions
*merged* . I think that if we see enough potential in a contributions
but there's minor points left to improve, we could already label it
'hacktoberfest-accepted'. Then there's a risk that they don't finish it
off, but since it would be only minor points to improve, we could even
do that ourselves.

Thanks,

Maarten

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
I'll look at some, but I can't promise highest priority.

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 4:55 AM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think the hacktober is a good initiative.
> Just be aware that we need to respond to these PRs ASAP, otherwise it might work against us.
> We already have a huge amount of PRs that still need to be reviewed, so it is not like we don't have enough PRs.
>
> I think we need at least 5 committers that explicitly say the will pick up these PR with the highest priority for 1 month.
> Otherwise I'd say no.
>
> Robert
>

> On 3-10-2020 20:41:04, Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today, I came across this update [1] from DigitalOcean, one of the
> companies behind Hacktoberfest. TL;DR: to prevent "spam pull requests",
> only accepted/merged/approved pull requests against GitHub repositories
> labelled "hacktoberfest" qualify for the free t-shirt or planting a
> tree. This is other than previous years, where _every_ pull request
> would qualify, even if the repository owner did not explicitly
> participate in Hacktoberfest.
>
> I would argue it makes sense to opt-in Maven repositories for
> Hacktoberfest. If it could encourage people to start contributing to
> Maven, I think that would be useful. It might also bring Maven to the
> attention of people who are looking for (Java) projects to contribute to.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maarten
>

> [1] https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/hacktoberfest-update

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Maarten Mulders <mt...@apache.org>.
After reading the DigitalOcean update again, I noticed that I made a
little mistake in interpreting their rules.

 From the contributor perspective, PRs count if:

Submitted during the month of October AND (
   The PR is labelled as hacktoberfest-accepted by a maintainer OR
   Submitted in a repo with the hacktoberfest topic AND (
     The PR is merged OR
     The PR has been approved
   )
)

So even if we do not opt in, we could still label any valuable
contribution with 'hacktoberfest-accepted' and it would count towards
the "t-shirt or tree" goal.

Sure, we could debate whether that should be the only reason for people
to contribute, but I think that's another question.

For now, I think opting our repositories in is NOT the right thing to
do. Repositories that have the hacktoberfest topic are likely to attract
spam (since having it merged or accepted counts towards the
Hacktoberfest goal). We could still label a valuable contribution with
'hacktoberfest-accepted' - no cost on our side, potentially happy
contributor elsewhere.

Thanks,

Maarten

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Martin Kanters <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: AW: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
My experience is that the better contributions come from people who need to
get work done, which is usually best exemplified through bug fix PRs.

If I were to manage incoming PRs for a hackathon event, I would not want to
do so without a solid set of Jiras for new features and bugs, otherwise
there is zero focus, and what comes in is going to be random.

I have Digital Ocean Hacktoberfest T-shirt and I love it but that should
not be the sole motivator IMO.

I really see a grooming of Jiras as a key to success and a prequestite to
opening up a project to a hackathon. Unless of course, you are happy to
wade through spammy PRs.

Gary

AW: AW: Hacktoberfest

Re: AW: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Which is why I am doing the same sadly over at Apache Commons and forging
ahead with regular work. I considered proposing one repo but that would
only open the floodgates...

Gary

Re: AW: Hacktoberfest

AW: Hacktoberfest